Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 10 of 31- The Difference of a Word

   It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.


As I walked through the hallways this morning, I glanced into one of the fourth-grade classrooms. In a flash, I'd read the first sentence of her morning message that would greet students as they walked into the room. The first line? 

It's already Wednesday. 




Wow. 
Words matter. 

"That message is one that could only be started by a teacher who has come out of retirement and is entering her second week of teaching in the 2021-2022 school year," I laughed. 

Jane was sitting at her desk, and she understood my meaning right away. The original teacher had moved to South Carolina and Jane had agreed to come out of retirement to teach the class. What a fortunate series of events for these students! 

As I continued my hallway stroll, I chuckled to myself because those three words are not the combination I'd create during a five day school week. Maybe I'd say them during a vacation week, but these days you are more likely to hear me say: 
It's only Wednesday. 

Words matter. 

As I sit and reflect about this slice and Jane's wording, I am thinking more about the message within that one word, and what mood it set for the class as the very first thing those students read. I think about words a lot. My one little word to live by for 2022 is just. I chose that word as one I'm working to eliminate since it downplays and minimizes many things I do. I've thought about the difference between saying I have to do something as opposed to I get to do something. And now I am thinking about the difference between already and only. You can bet that I'll be working on my alreadys in the near future! 


9 comments:

  1. It's already Wednesday is something we say all the time here in Saudi Arabia where our work week is from Sunday until Thursday. But the shift in perspective from it's only Wednesday to it's already Wednesday reflected to eloquently in your post. Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just" is a fascinating OLW. It invites one to reflect on perspective, just as "already" and "only" do. Words DO matter - and what a difference one word makes! Such a timely post, too, as many teachers are presently running low on steam...and how fortunate for the school and the class to have that seasoned teacher who knows how to weather these things and who's clearly bringing her own rays of light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "of course we will play a game or two ..."
    Nice!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reflection on language and a great example of how focusing on one small thing can lead to some interesting reflections. "Just" is a word that I struggle with, too. I've learned to repeatedly edit my writing to remove it. It's a persistent little bugger though! I hope you're having better luck than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am working on eliminating just - amazing how much we use it and what it does. Already and only ... interesting. I will now begin to note and notice! Loved the flow of this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you noticed the positive spin in her word choice! You are so right, words matter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to be in her class. Balanced, a little work but of course a couple of games. And TYPE AWAY- wanting to get back to the joy in things

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this noticing. We had a teacher talk at a faculty meeting about shifting thinking from have to - to get to. It was powerful for teachers to hear it from another teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words matter... Oh yes! I love so many things about this message--especially the line "...and of course we will play a game or two."

    ReplyDelete