Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 2 of 31- Hoping For a "Better" Word

 It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.

For a couple of weeks, I’ve talked about Wordle with the teacher in the room next to my office. Yesterday, I finally got to show him and the students the daily Wordle. (For those of you who play regularly, this was on Monday, and the word was choke. This is not a Wordle spoiler for anyone since that day has come and gone!) The students loved it! In fact, they all loved it so much that Frank had me give a couple more examples on chart paper. Please know that it’s tricky to mark the codes accurately, but they all got the hang of it. We even pulled up Quordle and solved that puzzle together! Frank was sold, he was in, he was going to do Wordle with his kids every day…

And then today happened. Again, I don’t know how many of you readers are Wordle regulars, but Tuesday’s Wordle was rupee– not a usual part of the fifth-grade vernacular. Through the wall that divides his classroom and my office, I heard the excitement in his voice as he pulled up the daily Wordle. Since I’d already played, I was worried. 

I left my desk and stood in his doorway. 

“How’s it going?” I asked. 

They had the R at the end of the word, as well as a P and a U. A couple of the kids who play at home were offering to give a clue. 

“You might want to take them up on that,” I said. 

Frank gave a nod, and even with the clue that the word had two E’s, the kids were stumped. 

Eventually, they solved it, and it was more a mathematical or logical exercise than a word exercise, but I left them researching what a rupee is. 

I’m hoping for a more fifth-grader friendly word for tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. It sounds exciting. We have been hearing a lot about it but I have not yet started playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest son, the one who didn't enjoy school or reading or writing (knife in my heart-!), loves Wordle. I had no idea until a week ago when he brought his phone to me on his last try to solve, lol. My colleagues are serious about it. One accidentally let the word slip and others groaned in despair; I think it ruined their day! One did say she has her students solve it together as an opening activity each day ...but she says solves it on her phone first, in case it turns out to be a non-kid-friendly word. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I got rupee on Tuesday. Perhaps I didn't play yesterday, but I think I got a different word. I read an article about using wordle in the classroom. What a great warm up community idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off to google Rupee! It would be cool if there was one geared towards kids where the words were closer to what they could guess. My daughter in third grade started playing WORDLE. It is really good for vocabulary and word knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My incentive to post my SOL is the daily Wordle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Wordle is fantastic used in the way you described. I don’t play every day and didn’t yesterday, but I love that the word was “tepee,” giving the students a brilliant learning opportunity. Have you tried Absurdle?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many teachers are using Wordle in their classrooms - so much fun for kids. I have not jumped into the craze -but it keeps my husband and MIL engaged every evening! I hope you are going back to do some work study -- I think you left Frank up the river without a paddle!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rupee gave me some trouble yesterday, but I guess that's good for the kids, though maybe not on their second day. I have a colleague who has a site that lets you play with words from the past Wordle days. It's great for the classroom. I've resisted because I like that Wordle can't take up too much of my day, since it's a one-time thing, but I'll get it and pass it on to you and Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My colleague is OBSESSED with Wordle! I have played a few times, but I forget about it most days since I am not on any social media. It was fun when I played though. Rupee would have been a hard one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love Wordles at our school!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You already know how I felt about RUPEE... Maybe you should send him screenshots of our morning dilemmas as a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many of my colleagues and students are also playing Wordle. I love it and yes, rupee was tough word!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not played Wordle with my kiddos... Largely because (and I am embarrassed to admit) I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet!
    Sounds like I need to for my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete