Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 8 of 21- A Close Second

     It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.



Can I get a puppy? Clare’s text had read almost two years ago when the world was shutting down. 

No, I replied. You can get yourself a plane ticket and get home. 


She was in South America when life was shutting down in Connecticut, and at that moment in time, it seemed as if Guatemala was not impacted by Covid. (It would be!)


Clare arrived home, and she continued to argue for a puppy, a companion to our older lab. It didn’t take long for me to relent, and once I relented, it took seconds for my husband to give the nod. 


Clare is now working in New York and living in an apartment that is not particularly conducive to a dog’s life, especially a dog who has grown up with a backyard and a canine playmate, so I get Winnie. And get is the keyword. Wherever I am, Winnie snuggles against me, keeping me warm and keeping me company. Clare’s her favorite person, but I’d like to believe that I’m a close second.

5 comments:

  1. My son sometimes campaigns for a dog and I say no because I know exactly who would "get" that dog! I love how this piece turns on different moments of "getting." And Winnie sounds like a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WINNIE! There are several puppy/dog inspired stories today. I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, I love this story! Winnie (and your daughter) are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember it like it was yesterday ... where did the time go. I think we even talked while you drove to PA to get her. I'm glad she is with you and a close visit for Clare.

    ReplyDelete