Friday, March 25, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 25 of 31- A not-good call

  It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.


By 8:00, I started glancing at the clock. Not obsessively, and not with great concern, but with that nagging, back-of -the-brain worry that mothers sometimes get. 

Cecily should be through Pittsfield by now. 
A little later...
She should be on the highway by now. 
A little later...
Could she have made through Albany? Possibly if there wasn't much traffic...I'm hoping.

By 9, I started checking my phone for a text. Ceciiy's great about letting me know when she reaches her destination. She knows I worry. I don't need much. Just the quick I'm here. 

A meeting distracted me, and for an hour, that back-of-brain voice left me alone. But when I checked my phone, there still was no text. Cecily's class started at 10:15, and it was 10:10. She'd left with plenty of time to make it to class on time. Could she still be driving? 

Yes, I'd be that mother who checks in with the first text. You there yet? I write quickly and send. 

Oh, yes, sorry...the initial response. 

And then, a little while later... Let me know when you can talk. 

Now, I know from past experience that Let me know when you can talk is a loaded text. I was in a PD session--leading the PD session, in fact. Could it wait on Cecily's end? If she had to talk at that moment, she'd write something a little different, or she'd call. I let her know I'd be a while, and she gave me the friendly kk. 

PD finished, and I headed to a spot in the building where I could get some signal. I called her, and she answered. (Sort of an unusual phenomenon, these days... all four of my daughters make fun of me for leaving them voicemails as they remind me that they can tell I called and they'll call when they can.)

"What's going on?" I asked in a (perhaps purposeful) upbeat voice. 
"Don't sound so happy, Mom," Cecily said. "This isn't a good call."

Those moments of wondering what it could be last longer than they probably are as I scrolled through the possible disasters that could be the culprit for a not-good call. She was on campus and talking, so no car crash... maybe a fender bender...a roommate issue?...a failed test...she couldn't take it anymore... friends weren't speaking to her... 

"I got a ticket," she said, ending my suspense. 

Is it terrible that relief washed over me? I can deal with a ticket. 

As she told me all about being pulled over and shaking too hard to open the glove box and the cop not being nice at all and driving the speed limit the rest of the way to campus (she was WELL above it if he clocked her correctly), I remembered my tickets. While I wouldn't say that I'm Mario Andretti as my father once suggested, I've had my share of pull-overs, and the first couple of times I shook from head to toe. 

"I'll pay for it," she finished. 

"And maybe slow down a l little," I said. 

We hung up with a laugh. 


10 comments:

  1. This made me think of my first ticket, too...and also how we are still reminding our young adult children that they need to realize how their words and tone affect their parents. I have to remember that what is not a major event to me may still feel like a major event to them. Reliving our youth through our children's foibles is not exactly fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! A ticket isn't all that bad. I was waiting for an accident!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parenting adult children is still stressful. I am glad it was just a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brings me back to so many phone call with my mom. Stressful - yes - but its all about love and connection. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was all tensed up till I read ticket! Pheww!!
    Your moves and explanatory language made me feel in the moment m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kept reading faster to see what she wanted to discuss! I can really connect now that my oldest is so far from us at school. I have to say the Life 360 app has helped a little with wondering where she is- I'm not sure she knows I still peek once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew! I was imagining the worst... My children hate when I ask if they have time for a call, they imagine horrible news. Maybe we all do these days. Glad your daughter is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew. Your worry had me worrying. I’m glad this slice ended with laughter. Your girls are lucky you’re there for them and able to empathize with their troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You capture your fears so well! I've been there many times with that worrying. You try to find reasons why they haven't sent that much-desired text. So well put. And I can imagine your thoughts as you continue to run the PD. Such a good post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a nail biter. You built the tension so well. I am the same way with my guys. Glad it was only a ticket.

    ReplyDelete