Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 23 of 31- Command strips to the rescue!

     It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.


K needs an easel, I wrote to the principal and the building LAC. I also wrote about how much one would cost ($300-$400) but emphasized how important it is to have one. 

For several weeks now, I've been going into that classroom and bringing my own chart paper and sticking it or taping it on to the bulletin board. There's an easel in there, but it has no hooks, which meant that I couldn't hang a pad. Many of you might be understanding what I mean and nodding along in agreement. 

K. has an easel, the LAC emailed back. It just needs hooks. 

Perfect, the principal emailed back. 

Hooks, huh. Why didn't I think of that? Why didn't I think of that a long time ago? When I told my husband that I really wanted a hook in the shower so that I wouldn't have to open the door and get cold without a towel, he figured it out right away and he was able to install a hook into tiles! Why couldn't I figure out how to get hooks that could stick to the whiteboard side of an easel and hold a pad of chart paper? 

Because a small part of my job responsibilities currently includes supplying teachers with all that they need for science (please don't ask me much more about this!), I had to make a quick run to Walmarts to purchase some 16 ounce cups with lids. (Remember: don't ask me more about this!) Walmarts did not have cups with lids, but I had the district credit card in my pocket, and Walmarts did have Command hooks that are specially designed for holding heavy things. I bought two of them. 

K. was working at her desk when I walked in with my two Command hooks. 

"You can ignore me," I said, and she did. 

I got to work on that easel, sticking those hooks exactly as the directions explained in exactly the right places to hold a pad of chart paper. 

And now, I wish I'd taken a picture of my beautiful chart hanging from the easel on those hooks that cost a whole lot less than a new easel. But trust me when I tell you, it was the perfect solution. 

Thank you to the LAC for reminding me that there are other ways to solve a problem and shame on me for taking SO long to get those hooks stuck on there and that chart pad hanging! 

2 comments:

  1. I like this post for so many reasons--the simple answer, the "hive brain" that came up with it, your concern for your colleague and willingness to go above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chris -- sometimes we are so in it we can't see it. This is the beauty of coaching and collaboration isn't it? Seeing things from multiple perspectives truly helps us grow our thinking. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete