Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 16 of 31- Sticking with the day-of scenarios

   It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.




My daughter Larkin outed me a bit tonight. I read her post for today after finishing a couple of tutoring sessions, and she wrote and reflected about our recent conversation. Yes, I told her that she didn't have to slice every day, and I also added that I have my stock of back-up slices for the days when nothing's coming through for me or when I run out of time. Here's her quote of what I said. (Yes, I'm quoting my daughter who was quoting me! lol.)

It can be really handy to have some back ups written for the days you know you’re swamped. That’s what I do.

Larkin had the perfect response to my confession, and here's her take on her response:

Well, yeah. I told her. (That's Larkin talking!) But I’ve also been trying to get better about slicing about day-of scenarios. I don’t want to let that go because I got lazy.

Tonight, I've started and re-started a few different posts, and I'm resisting the temptation to pull my ready-to-go slice in my document titled "Slices for 2022." The truth is that the posts I have started depress even myself. The slicing moments that I've started involve frustrating moments with work, unsupportive statements from a colleague, and upsetting medical news from a family member. I didn't have time to take the dogs on a walk or do more of a workout than a quick core class. I didn't have a meaningful moment with a student. I didn't do anything that felt slice worthy.

So maybe it's a day to notice and appreciate some small things:
  • the plate of cheese and crackers my husband brought into me when I was prepping for my tutoring session
  • the scratch on the door of my dog wanting to come in and sit on my feet
  • the phone call from a daughter checking in to say hi and love you
  • the time carved out by colleagues to meet after work for a drink-- or in my case, a cup of coffee
  • the ending of the 2022 Clayton season (I'm not proud that I know anything about this one!)
Thanks Larkin, for the push to stick with the day-of scenarios. I love being on these month-long journeys with you, as well as so many others in this amazing community!

5 comments:

  1. I always say I will have back up posts ready, but never do. I never know what I am going to slice until I sit in the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larkin knows best! I love that you guys slice together and I appreciate her thoughts on the hard work of finding a daily slice. I love the little moments you listed- your dog sitting on your feet and your cheese and crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too typically have one or two ready to go and I never wind up using them. I agree when I look back at them they never feel right - what an interesting thing for us to think about with our students. The power of the moment is really important. Thank you for sharing this reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You raised a smart girl! I recently suggested that Wren bank a few writing pieces and she wanted no part of it. The thrill is in the writing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In January I was telling myself to start collecting backup slices but never did. I have kicked myself a few times this month, especially on those days I can't think of anything slice-worthy. I like how you used notices of small things as a slice.

    ReplyDelete