Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 17 of 31- No worries, I said to myself...

    It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.


I had a bit of PTSD today. Any of you who are reading this post and taught virtually may break an empathetic sweat as you read this post. You've been warned. 

Over the last couple of years, I've done my share of Zoom presentations. I've gotten pretty adept at keeping track of the chat while sharing my screen while opening a new tab, while talking and presenting a slide deck. Therefore, when the woman who is in charge of our district's paraprofessionals asked me if I'd do an hour of  virtual professional development with them during conference week, I said sure. No worries. 

I've tried to develop a relationship with Google Meets, but for me, I have to say, Zoom is by far the frontrunner. Usually when I present within the district, people will use Zoom, but I knew that would not go over today. I'd have to use Google Meets. Okay, no worries, I said to myself. 

The last time I used my personal computer with Google Meets, my computer wouldn't allow me to share my screen and present. I thought I was pretty smart logging into the meet ahead of time logged into Google Chrome through my school identity as opposed to my personal one. I did a test share, presenting to myself, and it gave me no problem at all. The presentation came right up. I was all set. I even had enough time to fill up my water bottle. No worries, I said to myself. 

Leaving my audio and video off, I watched as people began to come into the meeting. Across the district people were watching in groups, and many of them were watching on a Smartboard. Because of this they weren't able to turn on a camera, and many weren't able to talk to me, either. Or, they could be seen but not heard. At least they could communicate through the chat, but they weren't too chatty. So, by my count, there were fifty or so people, some whom I could see, a few I could hear, and some I could receive comments or questions from through the chat. No worries, I said to myself. Not ideal, but still doable. 

I greeted people, talked about how I'd run the hour, what they could expect, how they could reach me, and then... I went to share my screen. 

Sharing is disabled, my computer said. 

What? 

I tried again, concentrating on keeping a calm face. 

Sharing was still disabled, and to change the settings, it directed me to log out and then log back on. Well, that wouldn't work. 

"Okay everyone," I said. "You are with friends. Be social for two minutes. I'm going to plan B."

No worries was no longer the refrain in my head. 

They couldn't see my crossed fingers or feel my sweaty palms as I turned on my desk computer which has no camera. (Who needs a camera on their computer when constantly being asked to join virtual meetings?) I was pretty sure I could present from that computer and keep the camera on with my personal computer. Once I got that up and working, they let me know with nods and shakes that the sound was okay and not echoing. 

Although I was never quite sure which screen to look at and what they were seeing as far as my profile or the front of me was concerned, I did get the presentation up and running. They're a forgiving and grateful group, so I could tell by the few people I could see that we were back on track and they were happy with at least some of the ideas I was giving them. And I'll even admit that there was something nice about keeping the chat open on the computer that wasn't the one I was presenting from. 

Mostly, I don't mind virtual presentations, and yes, technology is great when it's great. But wow, I get shaky in those moments when things don't work as expected. And I bet many of you know the feeling! Just a little PTSD on a Wednesday afternoon! 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, my palms did sweat, and I was taken back to virtual. The build up you give the reader here had me keep reading, even though I could see a problem coming, I was curious how you solved it. Glad the PD Session went fine in the end, and presenting from a second computer was always my go-to for virtual -- maybe your new thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am so happy to be back in person mostly. I agree zoom is the best but with any application strange things happen. Sounds like you had many back up plans ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it work!

    I feel as though people are much more gracious now, then they were before COVID, when there are tech snafus. Everyone has them and I feel like people extend kindness when it happens.

    I will say, I much prefer Zoom to anything else. I had to do a session with Microsoft Teams a few weeks ago and I was having a minor freakout about it. Thankfully, Marc was willing to test it out with me ahead of time and everything was seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post does bring me back to those many times having to teach virtually and the tech just not cooperating! I am glad you successfully figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oof, yes. This gave me second hand stress. I still get nervous in virtual presentations - I do best when I'm with people in real life, able to read their body language and interpret their reactions. Glad you got it working!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you would figure it out, but I still felt worried for you! Those moments of not knowing how it will work out or very nerve wracking! Still, I hope we continue to have virtual presentations, at least some of the time. My board is geographically quite large so we have been doing things this way for a while (saves on mileage!)It's nice to come home at the end of a long day and start supper before I start the PD!

    ReplyDelete