Sunday, March 6, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 6 of 31- Another Trip to Trader Joe's

   It's March, and March means the Slice of Life Story Challenge. All are welcome to join the challenge of noticing and writing about the moments of daily life that are stories.


I was planning to go to Trader Joe's yesterday morning even without having read Larkin's post about Marula Facial Oil, and her positive prized poodle experience there the day before. (She's much funnier than I am as a writer, and I got that prized poodle line from her!)

"You're going to Trader Joe's?" My husband asked when I announced my plan in the morning. "Didn't you just go there?"

I had gone the previous weekend, and yes, it's a 25 minute ride. Like Larkin, I have a few items that I especially love from TJ's. Last weekend when I was there for the organic salted peanut butter (and a few other things), I noticed the hellebores and other potted plants that were occupying a center table. I thought they'd fit into my rotating flower basket and I was having a dinner party in the near future, but I wasn't sure enough to buy them right then and there.

So yesterday morning, I brought the basket with me, hoping that there would be some hellebores and that they would fit in my basket the way I was envisioning. There were and they did! And it was a perfect centerpiece for last night's dinner!



It turns out that the combination of hellebore and lavender (also available at TJ's) works especially well since one is for show and the other is for smell. Hopefully, I'll keep them healthy and strong until I can plant them in pots on the patio.

10 comments:

  1. I have also developed quite a fondness for TJs. Your centerpiece is gorgeous. I bring the flowers home, but I am not great at arranging them. You look like a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful centerpiece! :) I adore Trader Joe's too. I go whenever I visit the states...and spend WAY too long there. My favorite thing from my last visit was this delicious Winter Wake Up tea that smells like Christmas. I am rationing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I am doing a lot with plants these days. TJs is a great spot to find them -- but I have 3 within 10 minutes of me. (And I think both you and Larkin are pretty funny!_)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trader Joe's should be paying you for these posts...25 minutes is a long way to go for a hellebore...which I'd never even heard of. I hope no hellabores showed up as guests at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your basket with the gorgeous shapes and textures of green. Lucky for me TJs is about 5 minutes from my house, and it is on my list of to-dos for today. I will keep an eye out for their green plants, would love some of these as a centerpiece. Thanks for sharing this creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing because I've written many a Trader Joe's Slice, but never a hellebore one. I'll have to look when we are there Friday for our weekly shop. Sadly, poor Trader Joe's, at least in our area in Massachusetts, is struggling to keep shelves stocked due to supply chain issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful centerpiece! Trader Joe’s is always worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of hellebores, and just googled them. So pretty! I love Trader Joe's too, but haven't been in a few weeks. But now you've inspired me to check those out, as well as lavender which I love. What a feel-good post. You made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous center piece! I am glad they still had the Hellabores in stock when you returned

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no. Now I might have to go back!

    ReplyDelete