Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Slice of Life- 10 of 31: Cecily's yoga class

    It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



We're at the laundromat and I have my phone for a little while, Cecily's text came across. 
That's awesome! Tell me how you are! I responded as quickly as my thumbs could go. I was happy to pause on the curriculum unit I was working on and hear about how her adventure in the Colorado River Basin was going so far. It had been a few days since I'd heard anything from her. 

She sent another few messages, and then she facetimed! 

She told me about the canoe trip. The meeting with the Bishop Paiute tribe members. "It's most respectful to call them by their tribal name," she said. 

I loved that. 

She went on to tell me about how she'd gotten a Starbucks fix because she'd done the grocery shopping with one of the leaders. She was on meal duty for the first week so they'd planned and shopped, and then they'd be cooking and delegating. Since it was only the three of them, Kate had treated to coffee. "Anything we wanted," Cecily said. 

I loved that, too. 

"And Mom," she said, "I taught a yoga class to the group." She laughed at my response. "I wasn't very good at it, but they said they liked it." 

Later, after we hung up, one of the other participants posted on their "Yakboard", the equivalent of a private blog that provides tidbits and snippets of information for overly interested (maybe obsessively stalking) parents. 

"Some personal highlights so far," wrote J. one of the boys on the trip, "include a yoga class led by Cecily, dunking on P. on a basketball hoop we found, taking a bucket shower with N, and trying the Impossible Whopper from a Burger King inside a Walmart."

Cecily couldn't have been that bad. 

Oh, wow, did I love that. 

Happy Slicing! 


10 comments:

  1. I smiled throughout this post, feeling your pride and happiness for your daughter and her amazing experience. Isn't having adult children awesome!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your daughter is having lots of great adventures! And I love that they provide a forum for stalking parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful adventure and opportunity for your daughter. I could feel pride pride shining through every word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel your excitement when your daughter checks in. It’s so hard to send them into the world, but so awesome when they let us in their new worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how much you can still connect with her! Sounds like she is having an amazing time - such an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this, love feeling your pride as a mama beam through. It’s like lovey vicarious living via your progeny- people you grew to go forth and do fun, beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun and inspiring g slice. I love that you g people have discovered yoga and that your daughter is learning Native people’s ways,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt like I was right there with you for this conversation- watching you love each second more and more as she shared more. So glad she is able to have her adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your descriptions in this piece. I can feel your excitement... and hers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the sweetest thing, that post about Cecily's yoga class being a highlight - we never know how much other people benefit from our efforts sometimes, even when we think it "wasn't very good." She carried on and it mattered. I feel that joy :)

    ReplyDelete