Sunday, March 7, 2021

Slice of Life- 8 of 31: Uncovering the news and the moments

      It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



I wish that I had put on a little blush, maybe a little mascara as I stare at myself on the Zoom screen. I almost always have a lipstick nearby so that when I have only myself to look at, my entire focus is not on the wrinkles. I'm sure others can relate to the fact that I've never stared at myself so constantly in a year! 

S. logs on, and I recognize her from the summer workshops. She signed up late for our writing program, and I agreed to meet with her tonight to catch her up. As I remember, she was quiet and took a while to talk last summer. I didn't want her to be intimidated by coming in to the second session without the knowledge from the first one. My memory is spot on. She's quiet, even when it's just the two of us. 

I show her the document. I explain it. She's reading. I can tell from her eye movements. I'm talking a lot. Too much. 

"How about I be quiet, and you read," I say. "I think you'll get the idea."

I resist the impulse to talk for a bit. 

"Does it make sense?" I finally can't help myself from asking. 

She nods. 

I show her the Padlet with several articles students can read as choices. I show her the comments other people have made. I show her how she can make her own comments. 

"Have you used Padlet?" I ask, fairly certain that she has because her classroom teacher has become a friend over the last year of sharing ideas. 

She nods. 

"How about you try filling in a row or two on the document," I suggest. "That way you'll have ideas ready to go on Tuesday."

She looks ready, and I half expect words to start appearing on the document that is open on my screen, shared with her, co-occupied by the pink anonymous antelope. Nothing's showing up, though. 

I have a flutter of uncertainty, and instead of sending her off, I suggest that I give her ten minutes to work on it. I'd stay on so she could check in if she needed. She tells me she's all set. She knows what to do. But she'd like to work on it a little with me still there. 

A couple of minute go by, and she breaks the silence. 

"I don't really have anything to write," she says. "There's not really any news in my world right now."

I nod, appreciating how hard it can be to find news in my own world these days. Husband is painting the basement? Daughter at college sent photos of herself getting ready to go out but the party would be at the house with her housemates? Another daughter worked the all night EMT shift and had her first transport? First vaccination has rendered my left arm useless for the day? 

Together, we talk about some of what's been happening in her own world, in her own community. She talks about her virtual piano recital, the emergence of daffodil tips in Central Park, the practice ELA tests on Zoom settings that are making her nervous, the cookies she baked yesterday. And gradually she uncovers newsworthy stories from her own existence...even now. 

There are many things I love about the SOLSC, but maybe this year, more than any other, it helps me pause, notice, and appreciate the news and the moments that would otherwise slip through my hard drive. Thank you to all of you. 

9 comments:

  1. Melanie, that is a really good description of finding stories for SOLSC. What is the news in my world right now? I like that question. I'm going to add it to my idea list for March SOL21 so I don't forget. I love the slow journey you took with this girl, appreciating her need for solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you captured the back and forth of zoom teaching is spot on. The instinct to "wall away and come back in a minute ' is so strong but...we will sit awkwardly face to face instead.

    What a great and relatable post. And it sounds like you really got stuff done with your student! Tw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate this window into your teaching environment. You clearly spend time thinking about your individual students and what they'll need to be successful. The expression, "slip through my hard drive" really appeals to me both literally and figuratively in this year of so much digital teaching and learning. Incredibly apt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Gradually she uncovers newsworthy stories from her own existence...even now." That's it. That's the charm. It's about the seeing, the uncovering, the peeling back of lots of layers of Now to see the all the threads running though it, holding it together. Those extra moments just talking... and the sprouts of story break through, reaching for the light. Love this reminder to notice and not let stuff slip through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Slicing is definitely making me appreciate the small things more this year, and I'm glad you slowly and steadily led S. to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate everything about this post. The description of Zoom. The resisting the urge to fill the space with talk. Then the quiet realization that those small moments in both of your lives do amount to beauty and truth.
    And, I could picture you throughout. That was the best.
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gem, Melanie. This speaks to the productive way that you work with young writers- all while giving them space and choice along the way to foster independence. The connection back to SOLC is perfect and definitely captures my perspective on SOL, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how time moved through this piece. I need to reread it to figure out how you did it, but the way time moved felt important to the piece and I was aware of it. Yes - this month always grounds me and resets my energy for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. 増田裕介

    ReplyDelete