Thursday, March 11, 2021

Slice of Life- 11 of 31: Who is learning from this lesson?

    It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



We finish the lesson, emphasizing how fun it is to add conversation to bring characters to life, and the kindergarten writers remind me of my dog when we first start a walk, straining at the leash and wanting to walk faster. These writers are ready to try dialogue in their stories. 

The three half-hour sessions when I meet with these writers have become my favorite times of the week. Another favorite colleague from on-line interactions joins me, and the two of meet with six kindergarten students who have figured out writing fast and joyfully. They couldn't be more fun to work with.

M. and I watch the six heads bow down over their writing. But no, there are only five heads focused on the paper in front of them. One head keeps looking sideways, clearly in conversation and communication with someone in the same room. We can see the larger shadow move behind the writer. He talks to someone, then writes. Talks then writes. 

Someone is giving that kid too much help, I text to M. 
She smiles and nods on the screen. 
And all that talk is taking away from his thinking and writing, M. texts back. 

M. and I interrupt the writers, asking everyone to listen for just a moment. We both compliment the way we can see them figuring out how to spell words themselves. M. talks about how she sees them reading and rereading their own work and making decisions as to what to write next. We both emphasize that we don't want perfect writers. We want brave writers. They return to their writing.

And he returns to his look sideways, talk, then write routine. 

I knew from his writing that he was receiving a lot of help. Kindergartners rarely spell multi-syllable words like quarterback correctly, and his writing is pretty perfect. I wish I could coach his parents and not him. I don't need perfect, I'd say. Just the joy and excitement of independent expression. I need him to do the learning from the lesson. There's a lot to be said for some productive struggle. 

When he is in person, there will be work to do.

Happy Slicing,


5 comments:

  1. Your slice shows how even at such an early age we seem to already be afraid of going it wrong so we seek out help OR is it those we spend the most time with never want us to struggle so they feed us what they think is support. Such a balance, this thing called learning. Your slice is causing me to ponder lots. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about this is how you hone in on a little sliver of time to describe, think about, and frame for us. The exact definition of a Slice. And - your heart is ALWAYS in the work toward cultivating student growth and independence, no matter what age:) As a mama and educator both, I can relate! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the struggles of a parent who "helps" too much! I know you will help him understand that it doesn't have to be perfect when you can get him back in front of you. In the meantime, celebrate the other writers who are eagerly writing their hearts out. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to imagine that caregiver is exhausted! Probably trying to do what they think is right. I love how you just let it go and decide to teach into another time. The bright side is someone is there doing their best to care for this child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be work to do and until then, it will be what it will be. I have some really amazing grandmas who work next to a couple of my K writers and I love them, but oh man it is hard to balance on the line of not alienating the caregiver while trying to urge them to go away. Gotta love those well-intentioned grown-ups in thie crazy time of COVID.

    ReplyDelete