Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Slice of Life-9 of 31: The right line at the grocery store?

       It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



I thought I'd picked a good line. 

The lady in front of me had only three things. The girl at the register was familiar to me. Julia. I knew her name and remembered it since my second daughter is Julia. I wasn't really in a big rush, but there's something rewarding that appeals to my competitive nature about selecting the right line at the grocery store. 

The woman, neatly dressed in a fitted jacket, blonde bob crisp and even, fumbled in her bag, and then hesitated to select a card from her wallet. She handed the card toward Julia, and Julia directed her to the device in between them.

"Just insert it," Julia said. 

The woman paused before attempting to insert her card. It takes some additional coaching from Julia before that card's in correctly. My grandmother would have hated those machines. "It's not my world," she used to say whenever technology confused her. I check my phone, wishing I felt comfortable picking up the current issue of People while I wait. The line was feeling a little less good. 

"I'm sorry," I hear Julia say. "It was declined. Maybe you could try again."

"Declined?" the woman repeated. "That's weird. I just checked it. There's $16 on it. I just checked."

The two of them repeat the coaching session of inserting the card. 

"Is it a debit card?" Julia asks. 

"I think maybe," is the response. 

"You'll need to enter the PIN," Julia said, her voice patient and quiet. "Do you know the number?"

The woman tapped in the number. The card still didn't work. 

Definitely not the most efficient line. 

Flustered, she asked what she should do. She tried another card. Didn't work. At that point, I wanted to step in and offer to pay, but I was worried and hesitant. Not everyone wants to be rescued in that situation. What if she got angry? She wanted to know if there was an ATM machine just across the hall. She could just go take money out and come right back to pay for her things. I couldn't see what the other items were, but one was a can of beans. I tried to imagine what she'd be making. I was closer to offering. How could I say I'd take care of it without offending? What could I do?  Julia nodded and waited. Julia allowed her to try a third (maybe fourth) card again. The cards didn't work. 

"You know what?" I finally said. "How about if I take care of this one?"

The woman stared at me. "You're going to pay for my things?"

"Yes," I said. "How about when the card situation gets settled, you do the same for someone. Or just go do something nice for someone."

"What's your name?" she wanted to know. 

I hesitated. Childhood lessons snuck into the moment, reminding me of stranger danger. Don't tell people your name...  Of course she could know my name. Something in me was thinking that she wasn't going to remember it anyway. I told her. 

"I'll say a prayer for you," she said, placing her beans and box of rice into her bag. 

Maybe it was the right line. 






8 comments:

  1. Melanie, I love this. It's the perfect story for this morning. As you began to outline her troubles, i was thinking along with you, should she help? Would I? All the hesitance and self talk were so natural and then... the wonderful surprise, the prayer. So often in the line, I've wondered about my fellow shoppers purchases making recipes in my head or concocting some story. The story began to unfold right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so much I like about this, but the line that's going to stick with me the most is, "What's your name?" There's just something about knowing and using someone's name, like the way you used Julia's, that gives you a different connection with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH, this hit me right in the gut. An authentic Slice of Life, an every day moment, something most people wouldn't have thought too much about. The discomfort the woman likely felt. Your observation, your kindness. I've been on both ends. I appreciate you AND this share. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was a great slice. I smiled with tears in my eyes at the end. How kind and compassionate of you to pay for her like that. I think you're right. It WAS the right line. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me stop and think. Too many times my competitive nature asks me to find the easiest quickest line too. You picked the right line after all. All prayers will help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect slice and moment to remember. I could feel the angst for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this so much - I could hear and see you perfectly! You captured every last detail. I think you both picked the right line! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect description, we were right there with you in the line and so glad you were able to help the lady out and that she offered to pray for you. Imagine how you'd feel having all those cards declined. It was definitely the right line!

    ReplyDelete