Saturday, March 6, 2021

Slice of Life- 6 of 31: Just checking in, said the text...

    It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



I'm in the middle of a fairly intense conversation about data, trends, celebrations, and worries. Sharyl has stopped in my office and it feels great to have a 3D body to process some of it with, as well as some important reflections to share and expand with someone else. 

My phone sits next to my computer, and even though I try to be present, especially in conversations like this one, it's become problemmatically ( a made up word)  reflexive for me to glance down when there's a buzz or vibration. 

It's Cecily texting. Cecily? Cecily?!

Two days earlier, she flew across the country to begin a gap year program that, despite all challenges, is running. With a backpack stuffed with clothing layers, dry shampoo, and a one person tent, and her hiking boots tied to her daypack, she'd headed through the airport entrance, 18 and excited to be on an adventure after an almost full year of close parental contact. She let us know when she landed safely, she let us know when she was together with the group, and then she texted goodbye. I'm handing over my phone, she texted. Time to be present. 

"It's Cecily," I say. 

Sharyl smiles. "Talk to you later," she says, as she gets up and leaves. She knows our conversation will have to go on pause. That for the time being, my focus will be on my little girl. 

Checking in, she texts to the family group chat. We're taking our covid tests now so we have a little phone time. 

We hear about the views in Arizona, the fajitas they made on the grill, some of the team-building activities they'd done, and the coziness of a one-person tent. There are only a few texts before she tells us time's up with the phone.  

I read and reread the texts. They are happy and excited. 

I head down the hall to find Sharyl. We'll resume our reflections.

It's sometimes good to check messages as they come in. It's always good to have a colleague like Sharyl. 
And it was great to hear from Cecily!

Happy Slicing,



12 comments:

  1. This warmed my heart - over coffee, early on a Saturday morning. Thank you♥️ I love thinking of you as a mama of grown ups because it helps me envision what my life might look like when I’m there, too. Xxx, Nawal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt your nervousness, your love and how proud you are. I too have a world travelling daughter and am always anticipating receiving a text or video call from my Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank goodness! Glad she is good and that you had a chance to hear from her. I am a bit jealous -- sounds like an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad she's getting to have this experience, and that she's able to share it with you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tugs of parenthood. So glad you had a friend who knew your priorities. Daughter over data!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thankful you were able to check the phone as it came in AND have a real interaction with her from afar! And I agree... it's always great o have colleagues like Sharyl (and you!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw- I love that she checked in and shared a snippet of the start of her adventure with you. And I love that your colleague knows you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard to let go of our kids - to let them fly on their own. And how beautiful it is when they let you in and share their adventure with you! You really caught the moment in this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet. How nice that she checked in with you and even better that she seems happy and excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As my oldest will be headed off to college next year, I am going to remind myself to look for the happiness in the texts. I always say I own a phone for my kids. Otherwise I might be able to do without it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the 3D body line--and that you got those check-ins from your baby! There are lots of ways to be present!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful opportunity for Cecily . . . and to recognize the power of present!
    3-D body . . . love this line.

    ReplyDelete