Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Slice of Life- 17 of 31: I thought I was clever, but wasn't at all!

  It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



I was so impressed with A's response to my survey questions! I had asked this group of writers to share what helps them as writers, as well as what doesn't. By providing them with a google form to fill out before class, I learned about whether they appreciated seeing final products, mentor texts, short lessons, and other things. A. had written that she sometimes subconsciously emulates what others have done if she reads a piece that's like hers ahead of time. (Or that's what I thought she meant.) I had 13 surveys to skim as I worked my way through breakout rooms, so I was just getting some big ideas, but they were some really helpful big ideas. 

When I stopped into A.'s breakout room, I was so proud of myself that I had an article right there and ready to go on my Padlet that was right there in line with A's topic. 

"If you look at the first column," I said, "there's a piece that you can read that is so much like yours. It might really help."

I watched her and couldn't figure out why she wasn't immediately engaged. She usually seemed to relate to and react to any tidbit of instruction or tip I offered. Tonight, she seemed to be almost intentionally NOT looking at what I was showing her. 

I don't like to overstay my welcome when I'm working with enthusiastic writers. I give quick brushstrokes-- nudges and little ideas to move them forward, and then I'm out of there so they can practice and keep working on their writing. A. was sharing a breakout room with another writer, and they both were giving me the indication that they were ready for me to move on and let. them. write.  So I did!

Later, when I had time and class was over, I went through the responses to the survey more carefully, thinking about grouping writers with an eye on their processes and preferences for learning. Looking down the column of "What does not help you as a writer?", I stopped in my tracks. 

OH NO. 

A. had NOT written that seeing a piece like hers helped her. She had written that it DID NOT help her. That it got in her way and made her feel like she was copying. OH NO!

I sent a quick email to both her and her teacher apologizing. Isn't data wonderful? Yes! As long as it's read and interpreted correctly!! In my defense, the spreadsheets that get populated when you use checklists on google forms get a little crowded and need careful reading as you scroll down the columns. That being said, I'm still shaking my head and chuckling a little at how clever I thought I was but wasn't at all! 


Happy Slicing!



5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. I love that you were armed with an article. How responsive to her individual needs! More than anything, I love the Google Form where you ask writers what feels most supportive for them.
    Good thing you just read Colleen’s book on mistakes!!
    Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best part is that she said it didn't work for her. In life, that might just be the best lesson of all. She advocated for herself, was clear on her process and had you validate her for that. I think you should make mistakes more often .... and I know somewhere down the road you will take the opportunity to show her how to use someone's writing as a mentor not copying. Only a confident responsive teacher know when and how to nudge -- well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today at school, a teacher and I praised a student's speaking up to advocate for herself - that's right where my brain went as I read this. I can just see you poring over your data for grouping when the truth struck you... I suspect that apology will have great impact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. . . . and you showed your writer that you are real. You make mistakes, you own them, and you do what is necessary to make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, blank stare explained. Moments like these certainly do point us toward paying attention to those tiny details. It was so kind of you to send off a message as soon as you knew.
    Also in your defense, it will be a clever move for someone else who thrives on examples. :)

    ReplyDelete