Thursday, March 4, 2021

Slice of Life 5 of 31: How will I know?

   It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



"How do I post?" she asked. 
"Where do I link?"
"I need a blog?"
"How do I set that up?"

A barrage of questions appeared, one after another, and I was happy to answer each one, confident in my answers, excited in the interest. 

And then...
"How do I know who to follow?" 

Hmmm. A harder question to answer. The first few days of March feels like the start of a race where there's a sprint to your place, and then a settling in. There are so many skilled writers, so many captivating stories, old friendships to rekindle, and new slicers to welcome in and get to know. For me there's a flurry in the first week that settles in as I move from the initial sprint-like feel to the steady pace of the March slicing marathon. 

I've written before that there's a discipline and a routine I have about my commenting, and it reminds me of a coffee shop. There are the people who post around the same time as I do, sort of like the coffee shop crowd in non-covid times. I make it my business to comment on those people. 

"Do you bookmark?" she asks. 

I don't, although I'm guessing it would be efficient. If you don't know "Command F", I HIGHLY recommend it for finding some of the people you've come to love. 

"You find your people,"  I say. "I'm not sure how, but maybe you can explain your process to me in a week or so when you have it."

It's the great thing about the SOLSC-- you find your people. 

Happy Slicing,



10 comments:

  1. Command F -- I remembered without asking this year!!! Yes you do find your people. I also play roulette a few time a day as well. Swipe down the list and respond where you land! The response is my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like everything, finding centers in the flux of information (blogs, slices, etc.) is an art in to itself ... and one that I think many of us (hand raised) still struggle with.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are helping people find their way and that's amazing! 5 days in and this post makes absolute sense to me already. Although, Command F is news to me. ALways learning. Later in the day, I try to scroll to times of day that might have less traffic. It has been interesting for sure and has taken the place of my daily reading of current events. Generally, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Tim Wheeler again and my comments have now name. Yesterday they had my name. *shrug* - TW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for making this clearer. So many different stories to discover here. I might just come back in April when I have a little more time to read more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie!!! I love how you turned our conversation into a slice. I have more questions- but I am learning- and realizing the law of magnetism holds. We find our people. Xoxox so proud I made an appearance in your writing. ~Nawal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned something new from this post. I tried command Command F. How useful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about this! How do I/we decide where and with whom we will leave a comment. Of course, I'm not new here. I have some old favorites but I also want to seek out new voices and try to be among the first to comment in a couple of places each time. For now I'm letting myself be lured in by titles and releasing myself from any obligation to stick with a favored few. Also given the expansion of the community, it can be daunting to realize all the posts I won't have time to read and comment on. Thank you for writing about this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, to finding your people. <3 This sounds like a conversation we had almost a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, to finding your people. <3 This sounds like a conversation we had almost a year ago!

    ReplyDelete