Thursday, March 18, 2021

Slice of Life- 18 of 31: No slipping for slicing

 


  It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



Peg walked into my office to say good morning. Her classroom is right next to me, and during March, when both of us are slicing, it's fun to talk, laugh about, and reflect on the backstories from the posts. 

My usual routine for slicing is to write my post sometime in the evening, after work, coffee or tea in hand depending on the time, feet in slippers, daily checklist mostly crossed off. Last night, for many reasons, I couldn't summon my writing energy. I tried, but couldn't channel a slice that felt remotely writing-worthy. 

"I've got nothing," I said to Peg in response to her good morning. Truth: I don't think I even said good morning back. I think those were the first three words out of my mouth. 

"How about I slip on your floor and fall on my &*^ and that can be your slice?" she offered. 

We both laughed. 

And then we talked about how some days there are tons of stories calling out, and others not so much. We talked about how we don't want to write the same thing day after day, but sometimes life does feel the same day after day. Yep, today I met with teachers on GM, I worked with some groups of kids, I responded to LOTS of questions, I planned for an SBAC presentation with a throat full of bile... We don't want to be overly serious or too philosophical or self-promotional or whatever else--fill in the blank. But she knew exactly what I meant when I said I just didn't have a moment from the day. (Moment is my 2021 word--I'm sure I've mentioned that this month.)

The students were heading in, and Peg had to go greet them. I thanked her. I didn't need her to slip and fall in my office. I had my slice. 

Happy slicing,


7 comments:

  1. I love that you have a slicing buddy who you see every day! And the conversation you captured rings so true for me. Writing is hard- finding ideas some days is really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beautifully captured that moment - such a great piece to share with students who don't think they have anything to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, weird. I almost wrote about having nothing to write about today! There must be something in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like a slice hidden inside a post claiming to have no sliceable moments. That's a true friend, for sure. You made your camaraderie visible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your slice is about not easily coming up with a slice. Tomorrow you can write about how you’re a good friend because you called to talk about feelings and not work. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peg sounds like the best writing buddy! This slice reminds me so much of I have been feeling about slicable moments lately. Thank you for helping me feel that I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so grateful to be right next door to you and be your slicing buddy. And know that if you need a good story, it is likely there is always one right next door! xoxo

    ReplyDelete