Sunday, March 14, 2021

Slice of Life- 16 of 31: The notebook mystery

      It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



I walked into the house and saw a package on the kitchen island. Excitement flared. Maybe it was my book! Upon closer inspection, it couldn't be. The package was an Amazon envelope. 

"What did you order?" Julia asked. 

I had no idea. Sometimes I preorder books and forget about the publishing dates. Other times I order a book without a lot of debate. I've been known to forget those are on their way. I've been practicing self-restraint lately, trying to curb by bibliophile ways, so I had no idea. 

I get a pair of scissors and opened the envelope to find a canvas drawstring bag. 

"What is this?" I said. 

Julia moved in closer as I pulled open the drawstring to reveal a beautiful notebook. It is soft leather with a string tie and thick pages. Not something I'd buy, but something I'd love. 

I shook the envelope, but no card. Opened the notebook. No hint of its sender. Tried the codes on the envelope. Nothing worked. 

Asking people if they sent me a notebook as a gift is tricky business. I sent a couple of texts to possible suspects, but no solution to the notebook mystery. I'm hoping someone drops a clue so I can give a proper thank you. It's beautiful. 




Happy slicing,



6 comments:

  1. How beautiful! And what a welcome gift! I can't think of anything more appropriate during March than receiving a surprise notebook in the mail. (Also, I'm so excited about your book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm - mysteries are fun! That is the perfect gift for you1 Good luck solving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it was those "cookies" that know more about us than we do? Happy mystery and enjoy the magical new notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gifts. But I love surprises more. You got both! Let me know what you figure out. XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol.. Always very uncomfortable to get the "Did you send me a present" text when you, in fact, did not. I love the notebook! It looks very you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...that's fun! I know someone who might enjoy a surprise green quilted duffle bag!

    ReplyDelete