Friday, March 19, 2021

Slice of Life- 19 of 31: Happy Birthday, Julia!

 

  It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!





I'm still having a hard time knowing if this is my ninth or tenth year slicing, and it doesn't dramatically matter to me since I'm not eligible for the Decade Prize. However, what does matter, is that EVERY year on March 19, I celebrate my daughter, Julia, who is now celebrating her second birthday in quarantine. 


Last year at this time, she had just returned home from a fabulous internship that sealed her suspicion that business would not be her life's work. This year, she is working as an EMT, she's fully vaccinated, she's about to start work in a medical office, and she's doing what she needs to for applying to medical school. 

And, she's also figured out how to keep her options open to finish out her collegiate soccer career in the fall. 

(Please know that when all of these girls smile, they are spectacular, 
but they were challenged to look tough for this photo!)



This girl. 
When I have unpleasant errands, she comes.
When I'm unkind, she interrupts.
When I'm sad, she knows. 
When I'm happy, she celebrates. 


Happy Birthday, Julia. 
I love you.



Here's to slicing,






10 comments:

  1. What a gift... to you. I so admire people who take a turn on their journey toward their own fulfillment. Here's to Julia, her present and her future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful it is that every year you have that one day dedicated to your daughter. What a fabulous way to say happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! That last part is just beautiful. Everything a mother/daughter relationship should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this -- especially the poem at the end. So perfect ... maybe medical school in Boston? More potential for us to visit. Happy Birthday Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your daughter- the love is clear! I loved how this had so many small parts to create a fuller story of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday beautiful girl!! You know, two of my children are born on 19s, so it's an important number for the QCas family. Love learning about all of our connections; love hearing more about your daughters. Be proud Mama. Heart swells

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! I love it when people share glimpses into family. The pictures told a story as well. A great slice of life! Tw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, Happy Birthday, Julia!! This is a special post for sure-from the pictures, to the poem, to the tradition of every slice for March 19th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that you have started this tradition when you probably didn't anticipate it being a tradition. Happiest birthday to Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Julia, you have a lovely mum and you must be proud of her! What a beautiful tribute to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete