Saturday, March 13, 2021

Slice of Life: A reckless hug

     It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



Lisa and I met when we both came on as co-authors with Two Writing Teachers several years ago. Through long phone conversations, we discovered fun coincidences and became friends both quickly and then over time. Even though she lives in Virginia, which can feel FAR away from Connecticut, Lisa's mother lives in Connecticut. When she comes to visit, we get to see each other. 

Yesterday, I pulled into her mother's driveway, knowing I'd just have time for a quick lunch (one of the things we know about each other is our food preferences because we like the same things) and a walk. (We also have the same sneakers, walk the same pace, and generally like to walk the same distance.)

Lisa came out to greet me, mask on, even though she's fully vaccinated. Still in the car, I strapped my mask around my ears. 

"Are we hugging?" I asked. 

Lisa's arms were wide, and I stepped right into them. 

Sad that hugging feels like unlawful and reckless behavior, but maybe that much more important. It was so good to see Lisa! 

And then, I went inside and got the same greeting from her mother, hugging her as well, which, if you read Lisa's post, you'll know is a big deal, pandemic or not. 

Happy Slicing!



11 comments:

  1. I smiled when I read about the similarities between you and your colleagues. Like me and some of my own colleagues, we share some interesting personal quirks. Thanks for sharing these thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel how great that hug felt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how the pandemic shined a light for me on how much I value a good hug. Certain things are truly those not to be lived without, just like a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs are one thing I miss so much! I can tell how hard it is for my student's from last year not to run up and hug me. I teach Elementary school and it was our goodbye at the end of a day. I have been getting a lot of side hugs though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful moment to exemplify the year and the things we miss most. I am happy you got that hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss hugs!! So happy you captured this in your slice. I love the details that thread the slice together "same sneakers... same pace" and how you "stepped right into" the hug. Cheers to vaccinations and moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your friendships. I want to take a walk and get a hug. Lucky to know ya, lady. Get ready for that 2021 embrace. XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs!! I can't wait for more hugs!! So true that hugs have that "unlawful and reckless" feeling to them. Here's to normalizing them again one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me tear up. Honest. The power of a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the title. Such a sweet post! Here's to more hugs in the future.

    ReplyDelete