Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Slice of Life 2020: 4 of 31- March Forth

March is for daily slicing, and all are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


"March 4 is a perfect day for really good PD," I said to my friend N. 

The two of us were sitting in a coffee shop catching up on life since I hadn't seen her in almost a year. She was telling me about the workshop she was planning for today, March 4. 

N. was looking at me like I was a little crazy, but I'm used to that. She had definitely never considered the dual meaning of this day on the calendar. 

"It's the only day of the year that's a command," I explained. "But it's like a positive command-- sort of take action-- go do something."

Still confusion from across the table. 

I stood up. "March forth," I said, and I began marching in place. 

N. started to laugh. "I didn't get it at all," she said. "I love that."

I love this date also. It's a day to point out some frequently confused words to students, and it's also a day to go out and do something I've been meaning to do. 

March forth! 

Happy slicing,


6 comments:

  1. This made me laugh! I love how you flip your story... at first, I was certain it was about March being a great time for PD in the school year... and then your humor. Love it! And I shall March Forth all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will give the same response to you today that I gave Larkin yesterday -- well played! I am working from home today ... but I will think about how I can March Forth from my couch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am going to share with the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have now permanently marked March 4th on my computer calendar. I'd never thought of this. Brilliant, and good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny, my husband said to me today, "Do you know what day it is?" I said, "March 4th?"
    "Yes, also known as Marching Band Day."
    It is for real a thing. Also a really good day for PD as you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are super punny and I love how your teacher mind never turns off.

    ReplyDelete