Monday, March 9, 2020

Slice of Life 2020: 9 of 31- Just Barely Got That Yogurt

March is for daily slicing, and all are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


The last few days have been busy. #understatement. We have moved, and tonight is the first night in our new house. This afternoon, I took a break from setting up beds and wiping down the insides of drawers to head to the grocery store. While my intentions weren't to get everything on my list, at least I'd get milk, yogurt, fruit, and coffee so we'd be fortified for work and school in the morning. 

As I drove to the grocery store, I noticed the traffic light was out---odd, but it didn't really get my attention. It should have. When I walked into the store, it was quite and dark. It might have been peaceful except that every worker in the store was working on putting plastic sheets over the vegetables, the fruit, the dairy...pretty much everything I needed. As one of them wheeled chicken toward the back where they have generators running emergency refrigerators, I asked for a package, and he was happy to give me one. However, my experience with the yogurt wasn't as positive. I knew right where my daughter's favorite Chobani was, so I ducked under the plastic sheeting and grabbed one. 

"The plastic is there to keep things cold, ma'am," a worker was quick to say. 

"Sorry," I said. "I just needed this yogurt." I held it up and gave him my best smile. 

He didn't smile back as he taped the plastic down to the floor. 

I got out of there with almost everything I needed, and the lights came on soon after. 




1 comment:

  1. I can just see that smile ... congrats on the new house. You moved in March!!??? #understatement for sure. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete