Friday, March 1, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 1 of 31: 31 Things

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


I had been percolating a couple of different ways to kick off this year's SOLSC, but then I read Lisa's post. She wrote 31 things about herself in no particular order. I'm going to try to do the same, and as is often the case, I'm leaning on Lisa for some inspiration. 
  1. Lisa and I are sharing the same #OLW this year. JOY. I'm trying hard to keep that at the forefront!
  2. I'm a big Shonda Rimes fan. I'm not too much of a TV watcher, but I love her book, Year of Yes.  I've recommended and given it to lots of people, and they've all loved it! One of my favorite pages (and there are a lot of them) is the one where she talks about Mother's Day cards and what she wished they would say. Maybe I like this page because...
  3. Even though I have four daughters, I don't like Mother's Day. Or Father's Day. Or Valentine's Day. Or any other constructed day. Maybe I'll write more on that later in the month.
  4. I'm going to stop playing Words With Friends for the month of March. (Fran, let's start a game on April 1!) 
  5. I am reading too many books at the same time. 
  6. I'd rather be too warm than too cold. You will NEVER hear me complain in August. 
  7. I try to remember to slow down. I need to be more emphatic with myself about this one. 
  8. My oldest daughter lives in Denver which is very far from Connecticut. I work hard to be okay about that.
  9. My youngest daughter is a junior in high school which means when I'm slicing next year, she will know or be finding out where she'll go to college. I'm working hard to be okay about that too. 
  10. I have two other daughters in between Larkin and Cecily who are in college. You'll hear more about all of them, I'm sure, over the course of the month.
  11. I'm married to a much nicer person than I am. I think I've said that before in another version of 31 things about me. 
  12. Sugar in my alcohol gives me a hangover. Sometimes it's worth it. 
  13. I'm trying to spend less time with my phone. 
  14. I don't want to mow the lawn or shovel when I grow up. Maybe gardening would be okay. 
  15. We have chickens that stay with us over the summer. Fresh eggs are the best!
  16. 31 seems like a really big number right now. 
  17. I love practicing yoga. I'm much stronger than I am flexible. I am sure that I will never be able to rest my forehead on the floor in a sitting position. 
  18. We have twelve different types of salt in the pantry and eight different types of jam in the fridge. It's excessive.
  19. I rarely pay full price for anything and if I do, I bring the receipt back for an adjustment if it goes on sale. 
  20. Drivers who talk out loud to other drivers drive me crazy. My husband has had to learn this. 
  21. Lisa, I'm also a cilantro person. 
  22. And a paper white person.
  23. My favorite perfume is Crystalle which is a little like paper whites. It's really hard to find now. 
  24. I wish I could speak a second language. I keep thinking about taking Spanish and trying to learn. 
  25. I also wish I could play guitar better. I know a few chords but I can't play them well enough to sing. 
  26. I probably shouldn't sing anyway. 
  27. My daughter Clare (see #10) is a beautiful singer. She sings solos in her a cappella group. It mind-blows me since public speaking gets me clammy. I can't imagine public singing. 
  28. I try to appreciate moments and days, maybe because I know how quickly things can change. (This could count as 2, but I'll leave it as is.)
  29. I try to do too much in a day, and I sometimes have better days when I decide to do less. 
  30. My first book is coming out in August. I'm not sure I've said that online. 
  31. Endings are almost always the trickiest part of writing for me. 

11 comments:

  1. Love this, Melanie! I'm totally with you for #s 5 & 13. And congrats for #30! That is totally exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE your list (of course I do!). Add Halloween to the list of holidays you don't like and I'm right there with you! Let's make something with cilantro in August. I haven't read Shonda Rimes book but will search for it asap. Thanks for this list Mel. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing 31 things about you! I sure it wasn't an easy write.
    I too struggle with endings - I hope to work on this during March!
    And congrats on your new book - I need to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea for starting the SOL challenge. Thanks for sharing such honest things about your life. Looks like you have a great month of writing ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I laughed out loud at #16. Your first book--so exciting! I can't wait to read it. The Year of Yes really is good. Endings are hard for me too. They take forever to write. My son once tried to conclude a school paper with "Ok, I said everything I have to say. Peace out!" and I am sorely tempted to try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My OLW this year is JOY, too! :)

    "I am reading too many books at the same time." Me, too! Currently reading 6 books.

    Welcome back to the challenge! And congrats on your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your 31 things list, Melanie!

    I adore the fact that you finally put #30 out there. (Now go and change your bio on TWT!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your list! Love the little humor that you wove into your list! I can't wait to hear more about your book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea but don’t think I can think of 31 things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might have to steal that for tomorrow and I can't wait to get my hands on your book!!! Congratulations --looking forward to reconnecting this month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I love your list. I'm wondering if I could think of 31 things about myself. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete