Saturday, March 23, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 23 of 31: If only I were better at details

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



I... am not great with details. I can say this for many parts of my life. Accessories? Not my forte (although I really like them and appreciate how much they matter.) Exact measurements in cooking? Nope. Most of my recipes don't come out the same way twice, maybe because tasks like leveling the flour seem too tedious to bother with for me (and yes, I know it matters.) I like planning trips, but I drive my family crazy with the details like flight numbers. (Those really matter, and I keep hoping my incompetence will lead to someone else taking over!)

I share this because the next part of this book writing progress is really stressing me out because it's all about... the details. For the last couple of weeks, I have tried to deal with them. I sat--- and sat and sat and sat-- trying to tag every last picture, checking and double-checking that they existed in the Dropbox folder. I labeled and matched them. I made notes as to what I still had to add to files. 

And I thought I was doing okay with this, until...I opened this email from the administrative assistant who really deals with the details:

Her first paragraph was friendly, hoping that I'd had a good week, congratulating me for getting to this point... and then the line that tightens my jaw--

I’m warning you now that I will have many rounds of questions for you! 

Oh no, I think. I'm in over my head. 

And then, a first list of "where is's."

-          Photo 2.7: What’s the caption?
-          Photo 3.1: What’s the caption? Do you want to use this photo or do you want art to recreate this figure?
-          Photo 4.1 and 4.2: What’s the caption?
-          Photo 5.2: What’s the caption?
-          Photo 5.4: What’s the caption?
-          Photo 8.3: what’s the caption?
-          Photo 8.4: What’s the caption?
-          Photo 9.9: What’s the caption?
-          Chapter 7: On p.12, there are two Google drive links. Did you want these to be QR codes?

I might have broken a slight sweat as I read the list.
And then: 

Finally, we’re missing some photos. I’ve attached a document here for your reference since I renumbered some of the images. Can you send these missing photos to me asap?

I'm not attaching that document for your entertainment sake, but trust me when I say... well, you can imagine what I said. 

I closed the email and headed off to read slices. I'll deal with this later on a full cup of coffee. 

Happy Slicing,





11 comments:

  1. Melanie, it sounds like you are almost there. Congratulations! You have already completed most of the work. These final details are annoying but necessary. I never look forward to this part - these little details - but at that point, I can see the final destination just ahead. A cup or two of coffee will help. I cannot wait to read your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going! You will get the details in place, You have help, people who remind you what is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intro to this piece! Again, it's like I can hear you saying this because of the short answers, the parentheses, the questions, the bolded words.
    I wish you all the best with the details!
    (Isn't there a saying- don't sweat the small stuff?) :) Just jokes, I know that's not helpful at this stage when you're supposed to focus on the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The side effect of your suffering is to inspire me- you are finishing a book!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suggest vodka ... oh but that's not the best self lens right??!! You've got this -- call, text, email if you need to vent!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally relate to not being a detail person. There is something to be said for being a whole picture person, yet there are times we need to pay attention to the details. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It will be worth it in the end.I know that’s easy for me to say, but think about it. You are publishing a book! If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. I sure can relate to not being a detail person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got this. All the details will lead to an amazing end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats and I agree... get out the vodka...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's going to come together and will be amazing (but I confess to feeling my angst deepen just on READING this list!). Press on :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really cannot wait until this book is published. I want to learn from you! And publishing a book... wow... that's a lot of writing and DETAILS!

    ReplyDelete