Saturday, March 16, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 16 of 31: This, this, and that

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


Our meeting was supposed to start at 11, but true to form, my phone rang at 11:15. We have a standing arrangement that rather than me going to her office and waiting, she calls when she's on her way. 

"I'm on my way," she said.

"No problem. I have plenty to do," I answered. I really did. 

"Let me tell you what some of the feedback was as I'm driving." She had just presented some of  work around equity and another major issue we'd been working on together. 

It might have been good that she didn't see me take in my breath and hold it. I'm sure my shoulders went up. 

I reached for my pad of paper and pen. 

"You ready?"

"Go," I said. 

They liked this, this, and this. They suggested this, this, and that. And if you could that, that, and this, then maybe this, that, and this...

I could hardly read my writing. I started to laugh and she did too. 

"I'll be there in ten minutes. Let's meet in my office."

I got to work on that, this, and that.



Happy Slicing,

6 comments:

  1. Meetings and phone calls have that way - that way of adding to our to do lists. You capture it perfectly in this slice. It always makes the to do list more manageable when you have a friend/colleague and a little laughter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That, this, and that"...could be a list for me this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haaaa! I could picture that exchange. Sometimes you just need that face to face or everything seems like a To Do list. Loved the line, "It might have been good that she didn't see me take in my breath and hold it. I'm sure my shoulders went up." Definitely could infer a lot from it! Thanks for a fun slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally take heart in your laughter - seems it will help you get through all your this-es and thats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this -- you did such a great job getting to feeling through action. I think kids have such a difficult time doing this. What a great mentor text for balancing talk and action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like "This, this, and that" might make a great chapter for a book on literacy coaching ; )

    ReplyDelete