Sunday, March 31, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 31 of 31- The hardest part of a challenge

Today is the final day of the Slice of Life Story Challenge. 
I have loved co-hosting
this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers


With my computer at 11% this morning and the clock at 8:30, I was debating whether to stay with my post that wasn't going so well or get on my yoga gear and head to the 9:00 class.

Garth came in to check on my plans. "You coming?" he asked. 

I took a breath. The words weren't making great sense between my fingertips and the screen. I had thought I'd wake up this morning with some kind of brilliant closing statement about Day 31, but so far I was a muddling mess. 

"Give me five," I said. 

As I settled into the mat, I listened to Amy welcome us and talk about one of the hardest things being just getting there. Yep. I'd definitely needed a prod. 

In our final resting pose, (when you're not really supposed to think!) I thought about the connections between so many things we do in life, including the Slice of Life Story Challenge. Sometimes, the hardest part is starting. Once we're in it, whether it's a form of exercise, a long drive, or a month-long writing challenge, we find our groove. It becomes easier to keep going, we establish a routine with space and place for the work we're doing. And then when we're done... 

By the time I finished class this morning, I felt great-- strong, stretched, and present.  And I was ready to write my final post of the 2019 SOLSC with the same sort of reflection. Starting was hard, the routine felt great, I have appreciated and valued every comment and connection, and I'm so proud of all of us for deciding to do it and pushing through every day-- or almost every day-- of writing for a month. 

See you on Tuesdays!


8 comments:

  1. I just started Pilates and it has a very similar effect for me.
    Thank you for all you do and I can't wait to see you on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in university I used to feel so overwhelmed during the first week. I'd look at the text books and the syllabus and wonder how I would ever do all of the reading and all of the work. Then I realized how: One assignment, one chapter, at a time. (Might be the most valuable thing I learned there!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! Sometimes starting, actually digging in is the very hardest part. Then it is bird by bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "muddling mess" - love this! Sometimes it's stepping away from the writing that brings us the writing! I know I experienced that many times over the past 31 days! So glad you stepped away for yoga and away from your muddling mess and returned to clarity and a great slice! Thanks for all you do at TWT and always for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very glad I selected this one to read on the last day. Love the connection you made and love the very relatable sentiments here. Wonderful final Slice. Well dai and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that sometimes the hardest part is starting. I, too, have spent time in yoga thinking about this SOL challenge and the slice I might write. It does feel like a wonderful accomplishment to have written every day for a month and commented and been commented on. What an amazing community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO true about getting started.

    I love the phrase strong, stretched and present. That really describes how you feel after a good yoga class.

    ReplyDelete