Monday, March 11, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 11 of 31: Passage of Birds

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


"Any interest in the seven o'clock movie at Real Art Ways?" I call down to my husband and mother. 

Our schedule is strange for a Saturday night, as we had a dinner-like lunch at 3 in order to accommodate Julia who was leaving for Vienna and had to be at the airport and Cecily who was babysitting starting at five. 

"Sure," Garth said. I knew he would. He didn't even ask what the movie was. 

"What's playing?" my mother wanted to know. 

I couldn't remember. I'd looked it up, read about it, thought it looked interesting with sub-titles and a focus on indigenous people, and paid not much attention to the title (which was foreign).

After some debate, the three of us went to see Pajaros de Verano (The Passage of Birds), a movie about the Colombian drug trade. Although hard to watch, this movie has stayed in my thoughts today, as so much of the conflict centers on money, addictions, and guns. What a lot of violence happens when we combine those three forces, no matter where we live, no matter who we are, no matter when we are in time. 


Peace,

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to violent film staying with you, as I watched a series online recently that I couldn't seem to shake. Your post had me wondering if you had regretted watching the movie? I'm pretty sure I regretted watching the series, but when something stays with you and seems to have left an imprinted message or theme... maybe regret isn't warranted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post starts off light and ends deep, like swimming from one side of the pool to another. I find that the older I get, the less I can "escape" into a movie that is extremely violent. Perhaps because of the very real violence in the world, the reminder that we seem to be stuck, not evolving as a species...Movie violence stays with me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a big fan of violent movies. My husband and I watched the show about EL Chapo. It stayed with me for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that those three 'evils' cause a lot of harm in many parts of the world. I cannot sit through a movie with violence as it affects me badly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a hard time with violence especially with sub-titles -- my I would be hiding my eyes and not know what was happening. I love how your slice told us so much with so few words. You set the scene perfectly.

    ReplyDelete