Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 7 of 31: The cookie maker's perspective

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


For a few days of the Challenge, I am trying out different perspectives. Yesterday, I wrote about my friend's dog who ate 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies from the dog's perspective. Today, I am taking on the perspective of Lisa's daughter, Sarah. Lisa is recovering from a broken pelvis, and these stories are intended for her, to make her smile. (The cookies were also intended for her!)

Sarah's Story
"I think they're the best ones ever," I said to no one except Sophie, who was way more interested in my cookie baking than she should have been. 

"You can't have any," I said, patting her head. "Chocolate is bad for dogs, and these cookies are for Mom."

Sophie gave me her cutest look, but I ignored her, and I pushed the trays a little farther away from the edge of the counter. By now, Sophie should know better, but she's not always the perfect dog. 

"I'll be right back," I said. "Don't even think about touching those cookies."
I went upstairs to pack a few other things for Mom. Since she fell and broke her pelvis, she'd been staying at my grandparents' and we were all trying to keep her spirits up. A magazine. (Maybe she'll get into pop culture.) A bottle of nail polish. (She needs her manicure redone.) A new toothbrush. (She keeps complaining about the one from the hospital.)

I could not have been more than five minutes, but when I walked back into the kitchen...

"Sophie!" I yelled. "Bad dog!" I tried to spank her, but she was too fast. She scooted into the far corner of the mudroom behind her bed. She knew she was in trouble!

Dad said he'd be home as soon as he could and he'd take her to the vet. We'd tell Mom tomorrow when we were sure Sophie would be fine. 

"Just don't tell her how much this is going to cost," Dad said. "And next time, maybe make oatmeal raisin. No chocolate!" 

Tomorrow, maybe we'll hear Dad's perspective...

Happy slicing,

3 comments:

  1. This such fun! I like how you ended giving us a hint of Dad's personality... ready for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write dialog and action well Melanie. Sorry for your friend Lisa. And I hope Sophie is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and a good dog story. So fun.

    ReplyDelete