Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 26 of 31: An important story to read!

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


"Should I read this story out loud to you or just leave it for you to read later?" my mother asked. The two of us were up early and in the kitchen. She was reading the paper, and I was cooking and baking for the girls to have treats to take back to college with them. "This is a story you will love," she said. 

As is often the case, I was writing in my head as I cooked. I had a couple of good posts I was mentally concocting in addition to the lentil soup and toffee bars. 

"Leave it for me," I said. "I'll read it."

When I had the toffee bars in the oven, the soup simmering, and fruit all cut up, I sat down in front of the article. If my mother tells me to read something in the paper, it's always good, but this one... I don't know how she would have been able to read it out loud because honestly, I was tearing up just reading this article to myself. It's not very long-- about the length of a post-- and it's really worth reading. Trust me--no, trust my mom!

I went online, and I kept reading the rest of the stories that Nicholas Kristof had written about Tanitoluwa Adewumi. Tani and his family migrated here from Nigeria and had been living in a homeless shelter until this week. I even read some of the comments-- there are hundreds. There are layers and layers to this story. Layers and layers to wonder about, talk about, even to share with students.

Much appreciation to my mom and the stories she shares!

Happy Slicing, 



12 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a great article. I love how your mom shares powerful stories with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that article in the Times. Kristof cuts to the heart always. You and your mom share a reading/sharing bond.
    P.S. I hope you kept some of the goodies for yourself. Lentil soup is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, thank you for sharing - thank your mom for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good mom and daughter and you have a good mom and I can totally picture you multitasking, preparing treats for your girls, and chatting with your mom. Going to read the article now... I think I know what the story is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've followed that story in the Times - one last week and one this week - and was so impressed by the boy and his family. I love that your mom shares stories and articles with you and seems to know you so well.
    (I, too, rehearse slices as I do other things - cooking is a good time for that kind of thinking.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you captured this moment that is likely a moment that happens often, but within your every day life. I could see you in the kitchen working as she came in. I saw this in in the news and read his story as well. INSPIRING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can visualize you doing all of these things at once. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took the time to read. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great article and amazing family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your connection with your home and I can tell how much respect you have for her. so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I read the initial article when Kristof published it, but I hadn't read the follow up. And they're giving the money away - oh my! I'm a little teary... I really need to get to bed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It makes me smile that your mom passes on articles like this one. I cannot wait to read the article!

    How awesome that you are sending back your daughter's with goodies!

    ReplyDelete