Sunday, March 3, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 3 of 31: DIfferent views

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


"They should be expelled," she said. 

She is someone I know through writing who has children in the district where I teach. Recently, our district has faced the challenge of publicly racist behavior. It is unclear whether the behavior was ignorantly stupid or aggressively racist. Regardless, the incident has caused conversation and controversy in the community.

"But it wasn't on school grounds," one of us in the conversation pointed out.

"Doesn't matter. There should be no racism tolerated. Period. End of story."

"But it didn't happen on school hours."

"School has to step up and take control. I support the African Americans."

(I resisted the temptation to point out that some of the black students might not identify as African.)

"But how can schools be responsible for the behavior that occurs outside of school functions and beyond school hours? And then what about the issue of blurred lines and intention?

"Schools can give students food. Isn't that the responsibility of caregivers? They should be expelled."

The conversation went on, far beyond my comfort zone, leaving me with more questions than any sort of answers. The issue, I am sure, will also continue on, far beyond my comfort zone.

How and where do we find common ground when there are SO many different backgrounds, beliefs, and biases?




7 comments:

  1. Finding that common ground is so hard, especially when it comes to public racism. I hope the unfortunate event can become a teaching tool for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are difficult times with very blurred lines. Who’s responsible? Who’s to blame? How can we make change? Are questions that unfortunately are being asked in too many communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you use the sparse dialogue to illustrate a tough issue here, Mel. In regards to the content, I think most action research has born out that "zero tolerance" policies don't get us where we want to be. So I guess that puts me next to you in this debate...unsure of the answer, but not feeling resonance with a policy with no educational component.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- you crafted this so your reader felt the tension build right with you. My stomach is in turmoil right now. I have to hope these conversations - while tough- will bring us closer to having a shared view. Everyone needs to be open to listening and being opening to learning and changing. That's the hard part. Thank you for sharing and helping all of us learn through your experience.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo others’ thoughts on the sparse dialogue.
    I’m convinced we’ll never legislate or punish away racist behavior, and after reading “White Fragility” I’m convinced white people will do and say racist things. Schools, however, can promote empathy, can examine what students do in situations like the one you describe, and can craft lessons to move students to a transformative place beyond the classroom. I suspect a suspension will move the offending student to a deeper bigotry rather than a place of empathy and restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the young lady at the board meeting said it best... we don't need to punish, we need to educate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes hear the train of logic with unexceptable student behavior. Sometime I think. What purpose would that serve? Who would learn?

    ReplyDelete