Thursday, March 7, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 8 of 31: I was trying to do my work, but...

Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


Her beads clink as she rounds the corner. 

"What are you doing, Mrs. Meehan?"

Since her teacher has been out, I've gotten used to regular morning visits from H.

"Can I work on my writing in here for a little bit?" she asks.

I point to a chair next to me and she spreads out over the part of my desk she now considers hers. Without her asking, I hand her a few sticky notes-- the large ones that she likes to use for paragraphs. If you ask her, regular paper is too large and her sticky notes are too small. (I'm happy to spring for some sticky notes if that's what it takes to get her to write.)

After a little while, she reads me her work.

"That's a story," I say. "A good one. But, you were working on an opinion piece, I thought."

She rolls her eyes and reaches for another few sticky notes. I sneak a peek of her work in progress, and I can't resist a compliment. In September, she'd hardly write a sentence. Now she fills the paper-- so what if it's somewhat smaller...

When she leaves, I focus on my social studies unit, concentrating hard, envisioning the lesson. It's been a few minutes when...

"Boo!"

I jump. Good that I didn't scream, truth be told.

"You jumped!" H. is laughing. "How did you not hear me with my beads and everything?"

She leaves again, still laughing. 

I return to my work, heart still pounding. 

Happy Slicing,

8 comments:

  1. There's a lovely little story of great success hidden in this piece... a kid who can now write with volume, who wants to write. And it is apparent you have helped create the space for this to happen. Love the beginning and ending of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you support H and offer her a place to write with you. I agree with Lanny- there is success here! There is also a student who will always think of you. Relationships- what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Such a great success story. So nice that you created an environment for her where she feels safe and enjoys writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Love so much about this -- but the beads detail made it for me. Also love the tip about the post-it note --so smart! How lucky you are to have each other! Great way for me to start my day today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These moments are the ones that help us get through the tough days. I love this moment and I think it's wonderful that you captured it. H is a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you spring for post it notes she prefers and how the tool can sometimes foster the writing. We are writing lab reports in second and I have a writer filling the page who was still writing the least amount possible. Little changes make big differences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're giving her the greatest gift you can give her, your time! Says volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the scare showed that you were content to leave her to write.

    ReplyDelete