Thursday, March 14, 2019

Slice of Life 2019 #14 of 31: UPS Came Through


Throughout the month of March, I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!


I don't always open the emails that Amazon sends. In fact, I rarely open them. But something about this one says "You better open this one." Delivery attempt unsuccessful is never a good subject line. 

Some of you might know Larkin, as she is my oldest daughter and she has been slicing with our community since she was 16. We're both in our seventh year, and we've documented a lot of life through this practice. Last week, one of her posts talked about putting on a favorite sweater and having it smell like her favorite perfume that she's out of. Here's what she wrote:

Yesterday I put on a shirt that I hadn't worn in forever and it still faintly smelled like one of my favorite perfumes that I ran out of about four months ago. It smelled like the summer and my family and being completely carefree and wow now I think I need to go buy some more Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue once I'm done writing this blog post.

My Day 10 post had to do with the courage it takes to select great gifts. I know Larkin, and I know she doesn't splurge on things like perfume. (A bottle of wine, yes. A new set pf paintbrushes, for sure. Perfume? Unlikely.) The combination of our two posts inspired me to head to Amazon and send her a bottle of Light Blue. A perfect plan except I didn't include the apartment number.

So how to make this happen?

If I asked her about how she receives packages in her new apartment, she'll suspect something, but would she remember her wish for that bottle of perfume? I took the risk:



She was clueless. She didn't ask a single thing more about this exchange. I logged into Amazon and added the apartment number, hoping really hard that UPS would check the address again.

This afternoon, this text from Larkin made me smile.

She made my day.



Happy Slicing,

9 comments:

  1. So thoughtful of you, Melanie! Love the way this moment unfolds, with just the right amount of backstory to give us context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it feel great when you send a gift and it is well loved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love how this all happened through slice of life ... and that it was a surprise in the end. Warms my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, such a sweet slice! It was so very thoughtful for you to send her the perfume and happy it was a happy ending of UPS pulling through for you! Can feel the love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun that you both slice and it gave you window for doing something fun. I kept reading to make sure it got to her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's right, she does have the best mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. She's a lucky girl for sure. Both for the thoughtfulness and the promotion of the importance of writing that she seems to have gotten from you as well. Very nice reading this this morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom's always know the right things to do. Reminds me that my mom used to send me fun underpants (I know, right?) for holidays when I was away at college. (Face palm!) So much packed into a small story. Thank you! -- Christie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending the perfect gift is the best. Everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete