Thursday, March 9, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 10 of 31- Creating Space

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

It was hard to talk myself into exercise this afternoon. My knee hurt. My back hurt. Dinner needed making. I could go on. Some days are like that. After some negotiations between myself and my other self, I decided on a compromise, and I set myself up with a yoga mat, a space heater, a couple of blocks, and a vinyasa flow. The two selves continued to debate the pros and cons of Thursday afternoon exercise. And then, the instructor talked about the space yoga creates. The space. She said something along the lines of (and I won't get it quite right) yoga creates space inside my body. That line and concept brought me in. The space. 

What else do I need space for? What else do I want to give space to? That concept kept my brain going for the rest of class and beyond. How do I create space for the things that are important? For 2023, I like my OLW which is care. I might have already stumbled on a future word as I think about what deserves a little more space in my life. 

All good things,



6 comments:

  1. Melanie, this sentence right here: After some negotiations between myself and my other self, I decided on a compromise.....this is double hilarious - - the self, the other self, and the compromise negotiation. I, too, would love to pick up yoga. I've been a couple of times, but I need it in my life for the stress and the tension headaches and the pace. Do you know a good instructional YouTube you would recommend for a beginner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this on YouTube: Yoga for Beginners with Adrianne

      Delete
  2. We are the same in our compromises - if I am just too tired to get on that bike, it is straight to the yoga mat. I love the idea of space - a little belated 2023 resolution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Self-care is hard when we're drained. Good for you to take out your yoga supplies to move.
    I felt depleted on Wednesday, but knew I needed to move. I did a 20-minute reformer workout and felt a bit better afterwards. It reminded me that sometimes I need to push through when I'm spent since I often feel better afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After some negotiations between myself and my other self- This resonates. Some things take a lot of self talk to happen! I need to begin yoga. The exercise with the mindfulness- two important things done at once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creating space for ourselves and to care for ourselves is so difficult! Your yoga session and the quiet it gave you sound wonderful. I negotiated with my can't-we-go-back-to-sleep self this morning to get myself on my bike. The compromise: instead of working while riding (the bike has a built-in desk), I watched a video of a ride through some gorgeous Norwegian countryside. I stayed on the bike 15 minutes longer than I'd been hoping to ride!

    ReplyDelete