Monday, March 6, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 6 of 31- Pink, Bling, and be Merry

  

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

With two of my daughters home, we headed to the nail salon, a splurge and a welcome winter outing. They opted for pedicures while I made my appointment for a gel manicure. 

Even before I got there, I had decided on light gray. I'd had that color in the fall, and, unlike others, I hadn't gotten sick of it. I also appreciated that it was slightly less obvious when it needed removing or replacing. We walked in, I selected my color, and I sat down to wait for Nancy, my favorite manicurist, to call me over to her chair. 

"I can't believe you decided so fast," Clare said as she and Julia painted each fingernail with different colors, weighing the pros and cons of one of the blues. 

"I could debate between the slightly darker gray," I said. 

"Maybe you should get something brighter," Clare said. 

I shook my head. I was good with my gray. 

When I sat down in Nancy's chair, she took one look at my selection and clucked her tongue. "Too dark," she said. "You need brighter."

My daughters might have giggled in the pedicure chairs behind me. Had they conspired with Nancy?

Nancy held up a bottle of OPI that was bright pink. Pink, Bling, and be Merry. One has to admire the clever names those OPI people think up. 

"That's really bright," I said. "How about something like that, but a little less bright. Maybe a little less sparkly?"

Nancy shook her head. "This good color," she said. "It's happy."

Given the day I'd had, I number one had no energy to argue with Nancy who I couldn't believe was telling me my color choice and number two didn't entirely disagree. Pink, Bling, and be Merry, it was. 

We'll see how I feel after two weeks! 



All good things, 


8 comments:

  1. It's pretty! Once I picked a very pale pink for my toes and the manicurist said, "No. I won't use that. Get something fun. If you hate it, I'll take if off, but I don't think you'll hate it." She was right! "Definitely Not a Waitress" became my favourite OPI colour for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that she pushed you out of your comfort zone. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment was from me. Sorry, I pushed submit before I realized I hadn't put in my name!

      Delete
  3. Melanie, I love the pink, but I also usually want what I pick. I'm torn here because I love the photo and know it is beautiful, but also that you didn't get what you'd requested. I do hope that it was daughter conspiracy - because now THAT is what we expect of our girls (but not of our nail techs). I actually looked for a color like this the other day. Growing up in the 1970s, Maybelline had a color called Strawberry Frost, and my mother used to buy it. I was hoping to get it and think of her. I Googled but couldn't find it anywhere. Discontinued, I am sure, but oh, how I remember the days of standing on the aisle in the five and dime to buy Maybelline nail polish. Long live Pink, Bling, and Be Merry....or at least until it starts chipping and needs a color change..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you added a photo. However, I kinda want to see what gray looks like! Your slice shows either how persuasive Nancy was or how tired you were to not fight the color. So often in life we change our minds. I do like the color names of nail polish and you got a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that color (although I’m not sure how I feel about the pushy manicurist…) Once I got grey and felt the same way you did. It was a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I love it. Interesting that 'be merry' isn't red or green.. but hey, who am I to argue with the Great Nail-Polish-Namers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It'll remind you of a funny story every time you see it, not to mention, pink is happier than grey!

    ReplyDelete