Saturday, March 11, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 11 of 31- No need to ask twice

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

After many years of cheering for Julia, our family's soccer player, her college career came to a close in December 2021. A week later, she tore her ACL in a pick-up basketball game, and cheering turned into encouraging and supporting her surgery, recovery, and rehab. Her surgery was over a year ago, and, even though she's not on an official team roster, she's passionate enough about soccer that she's found ways to play. 

This week, she is home for a week-long break from her graduate program, and she called a former coach. "Can I come practice with your team?" she asked. Immediate answer: of course. 

Tonight, she has a lot of studying to do. And she has basketball she loves to watch. And some friends wanted to go out. And it's cold. (Really, really cold.) All that being said, her coach asked if she's like to play in his team's scrimmage. Guess what she said. 

"I don't suppose you want to come watch?" she said as she gathered up her things to leave. 
"I'll pass on this one," I said. 

However, as soon as my husband came down from his office and I told him she'd invited us to go watch, he couldn't eat his dinner and bundle up quickly enough. 

While I appreciate the quiet in the house and the opportunity to sit and write in silence, I admire the passion they both have, one for playing and one for watching. Part of my writing was a text to her college coach thanking her for the positive experience Julia had and the passion she still has for the sport she loves. 

All good things,



5 comments:

  1. So many little slices in this slice. You patch them all together and we get to celebrate Julia's recovery, her passion and her coach's and father's dedication to passing that passion on! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passion they both have comes through loud and clear in this post. My son tore his ACL in the last half of his last college playoff game - so I know the hard journey back. He still has the passion as well and still coaches...Sometimes, I still go to games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad she is still able to play the game she loves. I tore my ACL in high school basketball and just tore my other knees PCL at recess. They both were not fun recoveries. The basketball one was quicker, I was younger and way better story then falling at recess! Tell Julia just to stick with one bad knee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone has their own joy…glad you all had a moment to participate in things that make you happy! ❤️ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. You and Dad together are the best support system ever. No chance would I go watch a bunch of girls play soccer in freezing conditions, but power to him.

    ReplyDelete