Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 9 of 31- Perfect Pictures

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

Yesterday, I said goodbye to a fourth-grade class I've been working with closely since January 3. Their teacher left mid-year, and we had a long-term sub covering the class while we went through a hiring process and then waited for the new teacher to be able to start. 

Onboarding a new teacher in the middle of the year poses many challenges. In order to make it easier for both the teacher and the students, I made the decision to finish our information unit before she started and welcome her on the same day as we launched a three-week graphic novel unit. This unit was an addition to the curriculum calendar, and it meant that units on either end were cut a little short. However, the students were so excited about this unit, and the positive energy was important for the transition. 

I left the celebrations of the final stories for the new teacher to orchestrate. It was important for the students to transition to her as their writing teacher, and when I was in the room, they definitely looked toward me for direction. 

I knew they were doing a gallery walk this afternoon, and I resisted driving over to their school. I also had a meeting I needed to attend, so I couldn't, but in the middle of the meeting, a welcome text flashed across my phone. 

Reading each other’s graphic novels and writing a positive comment about what they read.

Before this text, she included a series of pictures.






She even sent me a video of some of the interactions. I can admit that the pictures made me a little emotional, right? #proudcoach. Their books were beautiful, and their reactions were authentic, and she did a beautiful job taking the reins and creating a celebration. I can't wait to visit them, and I know they're going to be great for the rest of the year. 

All good things,



4 comments:

  1. Your thoughtful preplanning and restraint set the new teacher up for success. The photos/texts/videos confirm a job well done by the coach in passing the teacher torch. You are truly building capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cause for celebration! I bet you were bummed not to be there, but you passing the reins onto the new teacher is so important. I’m glad she included you by sending videos and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your influence, inspiration, and careful mentoring and modeling how writing and teaching should be done have made a powerful change in the lives of one teacher and many students. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! And I love the pictures that accompany this.

    ReplyDelete