Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 8 of 31- Just a Little Longer Than Expected...

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

"That sounds miserable," Julia said. She was reacting to my plan to drive Clare back to NYC, a two hour drive when all stars align. 

Clare had come home for the weekend, keeping Julia company for the last stretch of her ride from Pennsylvania. Her television had broken ( a post you can read), and, since we had an extra television in the garage, it made sense to me to give her a lift. I have plenty of personal days, so I could take a half-day, and it was hard to envision her hauling a flat screen around on a train. 

The ride TO the city was delightful. Clare and I had some great conversations, she listened in on a meeting I needed to have, and I made another call while she paid half attention to a webinar. We brainstormed a few potential slices, thought about some future adventures, and rehashed some memories. And traffic moved right along. 

In the lower east side, I helped bring the television up to the apartment, used the bathroom, complimented the plants, and got back in the car. While I knew the ride home would be longer than the ride there, I was cursing Julia by about the second mile. It was miserable. I'm never sure whether to appreciate or not appreciate my phone's knowledge and understanding of traffic. Twenty-three minutes in traffic turned into 28 minutes turned into 33 minutes turned into 37... you get the idea. And if you are familiar with the Major Deegan, you know that it should not (but CAN) take well over an hour to get from Stuytown to Yankee Stadium. 

Thank goodness for podcasts, Spotify, friends on call to say hi, and Starbucks to keep my ride from being miserable. In fact, there were moments I enjoyed. But here's hoping that TV lasts a while!

All good things,








2 comments:

  1. Was it the company that made the ride there better? Being stuck in traffic is the worst. When it’s bad, even just for my commute to or from work, I always dream about working closer to home. I’m sure Clare appreciated the lift and the tv! ❤️ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate ya -Clare

    ReplyDelete