Thursday, March 16, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 16 of 31- Worrying about crocuses and classrooms

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!


Last week, I was stopped at a traffic light. To my left was an island garden, developed and maintained by the town's garden club. In mid-March, it's a brave crocus that pokes its head through Connecticut soil, but the weather's been warmer than usual and the road's asphalt could make the soil a little warmer than average for these golden warriors. 


Six inches of snow fell yesterday, and as I scrolled through my pictures to find my inspiration for today's slice, I am worrying about these flowers, blanketed by an unexpected heavy and wet covering.

I am also worrying about a teacher I work with. Since she started only a few weeks ago, I joined her for several parent conferences this afternoon-- it made sense since I'd taught the students writing during the transitional time between when their former teacher left and the new teacher started. Several parents expressed their concern about the change, and yes, there are are systems and structures in place that weren't there before. Nope, they can't play games every time they get on their computers, and yes, they need to finish their school work, and they might even have to redo assignments sometimes. Then, a couple came in with a gift bag for the new teacher. "Part of life is dealing with transitions and change," the mother said, "and we're so appreciative of you being here. Resilience is an important trait."

I have no doubt that some of those crocuses will reemerge when the snow subsides, and maybe they will be both stronger and more grateful than ever for the sun and warmth around them.  And I can't wait to watch the growth that happens as this group of students adapts to systems and structures that support learning. 

All good things, 





6 comments:

  1. I love when we celebrate change as something that is hard and needs to be overcome. That gift is a great idea and hopefully lifted everyone's spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to that parent who saw how change can be celebrated...or at least seen as a learning opportunity. I really like how the crocus and the teacher come together in this piece...the fragile beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that the parent is appreciative of the new teacher. All too often, it seems, when changes like these occur the one stepping in is scrutinized more than if she had begun the year as a new teacher. I like your analogy with the flower fighting for survival in the cold. Nothing like warmth to break the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the phrase " these golden warriors." It is a nugget that is the foundation of this slice and makes a connection to the new teacher and the crocus you saw. It sounds like the new teacher is golden by putting in place much needed structure and routines, and a warrior having parental discontent. Heidi (Wordsmithing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so nice! I like that there is a family who appreciates the new teacher rather than just combatting them. And yes the flowers will probably make it through the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what thoughtful parents, spreading some warmth in their own way. I love this slice and how you so skillfully crafted it out from those crocuses and then back again.

    ReplyDelete