Sunday, March 12, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 12 of 31- Honoring a student

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

Many of you who might be reading this post have gotten to know my daughter Larkin over the years since she joined the community a year after I did when she was a junior in high school. Larkin tells a good story, both orally and through written words. 

Last week, I taught a lesson to third-graders about the ways they can bring their information to life. I tend to use personal stories as students transition to my lesson, and that day, I talked about Larkin and how she transforms mundane events into captivating stories and what we can all learn from what I called Larkin moves. I taught the students about using little stories, using special words, asking and answering questions, and varying sentence lengths. Since then, these moves are known in the class as "Larkin Moves." 

Yesterday, I noticed Mikey using parentheses to tuck in information to his piece, and I asked the whole class to remind me to teach Mikey's strategy to them today. I did, and without thinking, I suggested that they "Mikitize" their writing. You've never seen so many parentheses with tucked in information! And you've never seen a prouder member of the writing community. We now have "Larkin Moves" and "Mikitizing" and these writers know exactly what these terms mean. What power there is in a common language and personalizing instruction to honor community members. I can't wait to name another key strategy!

All good things,


9 comments:

  1. Personalizing instruction and encouraging writers to try new strategies- all in all a good teaching day! I can feel the warmth and encouragement in your classroom
    community through this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure this naming of moves also makes the namesake feel pretty special. Love how you’re on the lookout for ways to make kids famous. ❤️ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a larger lesson here on the power of mentors. These students are learning from one another and from Larkin. I love this because it gets to the nuts and bolts of how we develop our writing chops. As a storyteller myself, I feel validated, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, I want to be in your class! So much joy in writing, and writing in community. (Heidi - Wordsmithing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. personalizing instruction to honor community members- This is the key. Students need to learn from students. My daughter also did this challenge her Junior year in high school, and the experience became her college essay topic! I'm hoping once she gets through college, she'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea of naming strategies. I'm going to look for opportunities to do this in my classroom now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good use of parentheticals!! That, and solid mastery of the ellipse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always know how to motivate your writers and I love that you share these moments with us. So fun to read about how you bring Larkin into you work with children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom!!! I'm so honored.

    ReplyDelete