Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 7 of 31- Building the Writing Community

 


It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

When I first started slicing many years ago, my daughter Larkin was intrigued. So much so that she joined the Challenge the following year and has been a part of the community ever since. I have four daughters, but the other three never seemed too interested in the writing lives of Mom and Larkin during March. Julia gets her annual birthday post on March 19 which I know she reads, but other that that? I'm not sure. 

Toward the end of February, Clare announced she was going to join our slicing life this year. Wait...what?!?!? She asked a few questions, started a blog, and has been posting since. One of the beautiful things about reading my daughters' posts is that there are snippets of memories in them. I often wonder about what sticks and why. What will people-- my daughters, my friends, students, whoever--remember, if anything, about our relationship and interactions. I have so many fuzzy memories woven with a few distinct ones, and I can't always say why a memory stays sharp. 

When the girls were little, I used to take them to visit my grandmother. Four little girls roadtripping to Nana's house was not always easy, but we had some regular activities. I loved reading Clare's nostalgic reaction to her recent stop in Katonah. And I love slicing with my daughters. 


All good things,



11 comments:

  1. What fun to be writing with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Side by side memories with your daughters makes this challenge extra special! And what a gift, for them to share their perspective with you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing what sticks too! How special that you’ve got family writing with you. These pieces are a gift and a time capsule. It must be fun to see things from their perspective. ❤️ Jess (my posts never publish when I try to add my name! 🤷🏻‍♀️)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, how exciting that your daughters are writers who know that writing is a way to preserve those memories of life, including going off to grandma's house. I know you are proud of all of them and enjoy reading their writing. I like what Glenda said in the Meet-Up on Sunday. "Blogging is not an editorial, it's a conversation." The communication piece with your daughters gives just that extra way of connecting in a way that is meaningful. Oh, and one more writer you may not be aware that you grew as a writer this year - - remember that book you brought as a slicer gift in November? I've used the prompts with my middle school writers this year, and one chose the prompt about being a mannequin in a store. She developed it out and revised and edited and worked really hard and then submitted it to the Young Georgia Author's competition. You have a way of knowing just what writers love - even all the way over here in Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack, I cannot imagine how special this is to share this with your daughters!!! I was thrilled when one of my sons became a teacher- it is fun to see them take on bits of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful thing, to have your kids writing alongside you. I can only imagine what my daughter might write! Maybe one day she will...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, I’m so glad I read this post; otherwise, I would have missed this special three-way bond. My heart is full for you, Larkin, and Claire. Of cb purse, we know writing clarifies those memories, which is why I’ve spent most days this month writing about my most recent travels. Writing helps me remember. Now there are three of you: Mom, darters, sisters here to share common memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Envious here! And I agree with the others commenters but I want to add a query about birthday writing- I notice I have written a piece every year for my March birthday granddaughter. But no one else. What should we do? Well, I guess I know…

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is something to celebrate! I enjoy reading Larkin's posts knowing she's your daughter! I haven't read Clare's yet, but I'm off to. I ponder often what kids will remember compared to what we remember - writing is a great glimpse into those individual memories! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun that must be, the best way to get to know their inner thoughts a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clare has a half birthday on march 21. to quote melanie, "just sayin"

    ReplyDelete