Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 23 of 31- My slice wasn't ready, but I guess it is now

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

For the first time this month, I got into bed and realized that my slice is not ready for publishing and sharing tomorrow morning when I wake up. 

My slice isn't ready!! 

I have not even written it or thought about it or verbally rehearsed it. Okay, maybe I thought about it. I had several slice-worthy moments. 

I made scones, and I know Clare would appreciate that. In fact, she'll also get to appreciate them because it looks like I'll see her on Saturday. I helped Cecily with her essay and its focus is on how she wants to be a teacher and I'm scared for her and I'm proud of her. I missed Julia's call and then got Julia's call and then had to make a very long call for her because of a missed payment that had been missed one too many times, resulting in the involvement of a collection agency (WAIT---WHAT?!?!?) Have no fear--that  one got cleared right up, and then, yes, I joined Larkin for a Peloton live ride in the hope that one of us would get a shout-out for #700 and #300. (Neither of us did... ) 

Those were several slice-worthy moments, and there were more, as well. A welcome and surprising email, a cute interaction at the grocery store, a debate over whether or not to make a u-turn in front of a police officer. (I did... are u-turns illegal? I don't think so, and his reaction validated my thinking). A very loud interaction between my should-be-more-fearful small dog and the neighbor's good-she's-gentle larger dog. The latest Ted Lasso episode.  And still... 

My slice isn't ready. 

But maybe it's as ready as it's going to be. 

All good things,



6 comments:

  1. I do love a metaslice about slicing! Writing is beautiful that way--we can write a piece about how we don't have a piece written and voila! We have a piece! I appreciate how March makes me notice my life and observe more carefully. I long to be the slicer who writes the day before, but so far I haven't been able to reach that level of organization and preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find slices like this one, a possible list of what one can write about, the best! It shows that writers sometimes just need to have a brainstorm dump. Then one idea can be picked at another time. Brainstorming must occur and you do it so well here. Plus, I love your humorous tone! Can't wait to see what you write next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This slice let us learn so much about you. You're a planner, a rehearser, and an observer, looking for slice-able moments throughout the day. You're a nighttime slicer but early morning commenter. That's something we sort of have in common. I'm a nighttime slicer, too. I never know what I'm going to write until I sit down to do it (different than you). But...because I'm in another time zone, I appear to be an early morning commenter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This slice reminds me of the ‘After that’ format but without all the after thats. You had a busy day! Ted Lasso sounds like the perfect way to unwind. Heidi (Wordsmithing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to think that your pie isn't ready, but your slice is done and it's amazing. It's a slice. A tasty, wonderful, warm-baked slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh…that’s good! Loved this snapshot of your day! ❤️ Jess

      Delete