Sunday, March 12, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 13 of 31- One more hug

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

I was in Julia's room appreciating the carefully-made bed, picking up a dryer sheet from the floor, and missing her already when my phone rang. It was Julia's ring. Why would she be calling only fifteen minutes into her drive? Definitely not to tell me she already missed me too. My heart skipped a beat, maybe several, as I ran down the hallway to answer it. 

"I think I forgot something important," she said. 
Relief washed over me. I can handle forgotten things. 
"There's a bag I think is on the mudroom bench. Can you check?"
I headed downstairs, and sure enough, there was a bag. I picked it up. It was heavy. 
"I'll send it," I said. 
"I'm turning around," she said. "Can you meet me?"
"I'm getting in the car," I said. I knew she was on a tight time table in order to make it to s soccer game with a brand new team. She needed the three and a half hour trip to take three and a half hours. 

I got in the car with the bag (which would have been a whopper to overnight at FedEx-- not that anything is cheap), without my glasses (which are more critical at night than in the morning), and in my pajamas (boxer shorts and a t-shirt). It would have been an interesting explanation if I'd been pulled over. 

The traffic lights favored me, and Julia was surprised at how much distance I traveled to meet her. In the parking lot of Luke's donut, I passed off the bag of goods and collected one bonus hug. 

Post addendum: Julia made it to the soccer field with eight minutes to spare. A fine team effort. 

All good things,


8 comments:

  1. What a mom! I could really picture the things that might have run through your head when your heart skipped a beat or two. Why does our brain go to disaster so easily? An extra hug was a bonus! From Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh at the thought of you driving to meet her in your boxer shorts and t-shirt! All's well that ends well, and the extra hug was a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief! I've done driving "without my glasses (that are more critical at night than in the morning)" a few times myself. So glad you got your extra hug and she made it on time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are super mom with a cape flying behind you! I love your thought bubbles in parentheses. Glad you got the bonus hug. Heidi C (Wordsmithing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mama instinct kicked in. I could feel the moment of nervousness when the phone rang. Glad she made it on time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that one last hug! My mama heart teared up a bit reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so fun to read this post after hearing about it on our virtual meet-up! I love your beginning--the mundanity of the morning after your daughter has left, your line about knowing that your daughter wasn't calling to tell you she missed you just after she left. So beautiful. And glad to hear the end of the story and know that she made it to the soccer game with 8 minutes to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the way I could feel the rhythm of your rush throughout your story. 8 minutes to spare - perfect timing! :-) And what could be better than a bonus hug?! That's certainly worth risking someone pulling you over in your PJs! :-)

    ReplyDelete