Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 29 of 31- Yes, I worry, too.

   It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

As I parked by the back entrance to the technology center, I wondered if there would be anyone who would come and let me in. There have been times when I've arrived at this office for a meeting, and I've stood outside the door texting the various people I knew who had offices in this part of the high school building. In the past, I've waited a while. Today, I wondered if I should cut my losses and walk around the building toward the front office. They'd let me in. I like walking. After school, I'd choose to walk a lot further than the front entrance of the school. 

But a new thought crossed my mind. One I didn't like, but I couldn't ignore. 

I don't want to be in the front office of schools. 

Instead of walking to the front entrance, I rang the bell of the technology office, texted the two people I thought might check their phones and come let me in, and waited at the less traveled side entrance of the high school. I found myself wondering how many other educators were thinking about the spaces and the places they prefer to avoid and what they would do, where they would go if anything happened. 

On the way to school, I talked to my mother. "I worry about you in schools," she said. I didn't really acknowledge the statement because I don't want to be the cause of the worry. But I guess the truth is: I worry, too. 

All good-- and safe-- things,


6 comments:

  1. We all worry. It shouldn't be like this. Be safe. (Erika)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m seldom at a loss for words, but these school shootings are events I can’t wrap my head around. When agendas don’t align w/ teachers’ goals, this is the result. It’s all so much.

    BTW: Your link on TWT isn’t working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes there are just no words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big sigh. It’s definitely at the back of my mind. To justify why we must not prop open doors and carry around the emergency folder, I often find myself telling students- “Because I want to keep us safe” … it’s a refrain for me as much as them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a conversation with my husband this morning about how, even though these shootings physically harm a relatively small number of people, we're all affected and hurt by them. I love how you've conveyed this through the small moment of thinking about which entrance to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Mel, we have 2 choices, 2 options:
    either to live4heaven which is eternal
    in length N breadth... or live4nthn but
    the Great Whorizontal which is dying.
    We cannot have both; we cannot stay
    here: I was involved in a severe Otto
    accident in which my girl was DOA
    at 17, 15 respectively. Lemme x-plane
    how2arise with thy head'n the clouds:
    ● NOPEcantELOPE.blogspot.com ●
    Cya soon, miss gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete