Sunday, March 5, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 5 of 31- When grief hits, it's a sign.

 

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



ATTENTION VISITORS: 
If you leave a comment, please include your name in it! So often all I see is "anonymous", and I REALLY want to know who is commenting! Thank you!

 I usually look forward to March 4 as a day of the year that is a command. I think I've even sliced about it. Yesterday's marching forth was a gray and grieving one 
as I attended the funeral of a good friend. 

A colleague reached out, checking on me later in the day. Most of the texts I've received with a simple thank you or a programmed text reaction. They've read something like "You were such a good friend." The thing is that she was a good friend. 

I responded a little more that usual to this one, and my colleague texted again:

We are here for you. 
I try to remind myself when grief hits
 that it is a sign of love.
 It doesn’t hurt if 
the relationship didn’t matter. 

I appreciate those words, and I'll return to them. 

All good things,





9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you felt some love from colleagues and I am sorry for the loss. May her memory be a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Melanie. The journey through grief is a challenging one. It's a seismic shift of your life landscape. In my own experience, I have tried to focus on what your friend noted--that there must be great love to feel great loss. Still...it's so hard. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It doesn't hurt if the relationship didn't matter". Thank you for sharing those words as it helps to remember that feeling the pain is part of it. You also touch on the hard part of knowing what to say and how to respond via text when something like this happens. I needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That text is so important and true. It's only the best relationships that inspire the biggest of feelings in us. I hope you are able to find comfort in happy memories with your friend. Much love, Saba T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you. ❤️ -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss, Melanie. Yes grief is indeed a sign of love. Take care of yourself and find solace in fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. I will remember that grief is a sign of love next time I feel it. Too often in life I have pushed grief away and that leads to more grief later on. Ralph Fletcher has that beautiful statement about grief in Fig Pudding. He says something like grief is a bowl of soup, some people sip it and some people drink it down in one sitting, but either way everyone eats it. Thinking of you. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. May your friend's memory be eternal. Thinking of you. ~ EugeniaKouts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry that the March Forth took you into a grieving place this time. I know how that feels. A friend of mine wrote a book about the loss of his son, one of the main points of his book was his revelation that his grief was really an expression of his love. It didn't take away the pain, but it did change the way he looked at it. I would add that writing helped me a lot, even if I didn't share it at first.

    ReplyDelete